Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, May 28, 2010

May 28, 2010

           These are dog wigs. I was out in Bal Harbour to get some wholesale pricing done, catch up on some developments and clean up a few records. Whoever has been working on the pricing followed the model I set up in 2006, making the work very easy today. It is simple, one of the products has to be produced for $2.51 where before it was $11.30. Thus, quality is out the window, the target market is tourists in the Caribbean who are attention, as it were, hounds.
          This time, the pitch aims for snob appeal. It seems walking dogs adorned with these wigs gets the owner the attention they are craving. While some criticize the dog wigs in private, that does not become the case in public. Besides, anyone who knows the development of these wigs will know they are specifically designed never to bother the animal in any way. I may set up a system to keep track of things from here, as it was a grueling 3 hour round trip on the bus. Not the bus, the waits between transfers, I mean. In the sun.
          Overall, I found the trip and work too taxing. This is an exasperating disappointment for me, because it is the only work I can do that is not physically strenuous, and I can’t even do that any more. In case I did not make it clear, once you have a heart attack, you never gain back the same core energy level. If you force yourself, you are just bringing on another attack. You have no idea how much I am following developments in stem cell research.
          On the return leg, I stopped at Borders to read a bit. I thought the walk (3 miles) would do me some good. Not really, just tuckered me more. Today’s trivia is the common spring mousetrap. It snaps shut in 1/38,000th of a second, the intention is to break the mouse’s back The same book said there are over 1,200 patents for devices to support women’s breasts. I wonder how many were invented by men.
          China is cranking out computers with the Linux operating system. This means it will be foolish to ignore and I must start at least playing around with Linux. I used it for a few months, but found it an absolutely insane and complicated system made worse by the lack of organized standards. I mean, popsicles come in flavors, not computer software. Yet I must at least read one book on the matter in my life.
          I don’t usually digress, for a work of any size (such as this blog) risks repetition to do so, but today I saw a novelty coffee table that was a mini-foosball game. This reminded me of a property called “Seldom Inn”, a storey-and-a-half structure my partner and I bought when I was 21. We rented it out to four guys who worked at Halliburton. They used to play foosball in the local tavern.
          One night they were in the middle of a game when a bar fight broke out and the staff rushed to the other end to break it up. Now, think for a moment of the design of a foosball machine, and imagine four burly guys on the handles who are standing right next to an exit sign. Years later, when they moved out, I found that foosball machine in our living room. But you don’t want to hear of my younger life.
          The drum box is now a must. I can sing ten songs and now things are held up for that $100 device. Bryne will pay me for a day to patch plaster next week, with that and what I can scrape together, I cannot do without the box much longer. Whether I’m any good is for the audience to decide and I am completely aware doing a solo show is far more complicated than singing along to Karaoke. As ever, I will utilize Jimbos for practice because they love it. You know those wise guys who always walk up to the stage and say, “Do you do any Deep Purple?” Who remembers “Kentucky Woman”? I’m working on it; I believe it can be done.
          But that belief is not popular. The reason is that guitarists don’t like to play duo arrangements because it can be a large departure from the original or “studio” guitar. However, I watch for such guitarists, because playing studio smacks that they are not serious about duo work, rather reserving the option to solo or play in another group. I often insist they play guitar parts that specifically prevent that. As said, not popular, but I mean amongst conniving guitarists. Audiences love my duo work.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++