Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, June 19, 2010

June 19, 2010

           I can just tell this purchase from Sam Ash is going to be problematical. Somebody on staff knew this drum box has been dropped or something. Someone knew they had tried to pry the security clamp off and loosened the all-important footswitch jack. It was that stupid guy who sold it to me, knowing I had come from across town and had to buy or waste the major trip. I have not really used it yet, but I can tell something is wrong. Shown here, I've tightening up some loose fittings on the back panel.
           This drum box requires a lot of hard work between now and September. As we all know, there are two types of people in this world. The ones who get things done and the ones who live wasted lives. I'll let you figure out which type is always getting in the way of the other. Peasants have a natural built-in resistance to anybody getting anything done. I got twenty bucks says I’m right, that peasants go out of their way to get in your way. Then when you ask them to move, they do, but consider it a favor to be paid back. A peasant’s only priority is their own short-term ease.
           Fred has a major motorcycle show coming up, or is it five shows. Anyway, I was in the vacant shop until noon doing more research. Yes, the hot dogs came up again, and I conclude same as y’day, that unless you get the cart free you had best not leave anything until the last minute. I mentioned it to Eddie, who says he knows some local shows that always want another operator. See, now he wants a cart, too. I’ll talk to Pete the Rock. But it would not be the first time Pete has found something for free that costs $500.

           I’ve met guitar player number 16. Yes, I’ve given them a number, and taken way their names. If you must know, it is Dave. He’s a yahoo-type, but he can play the required rhythms and is receptive to the idea that a guitarist is not necessarily the star of my show. He was the only customer in the shop by the time I’d left.
           Bingo, while not another record-breaker, was a success. The crowd has begun to vary week to week along with the regulars. One lady brought chocolate brownies, the ones with walnuts. Addicting walnuts. If all the factions ever show up on the same day, Bingo will be a sellout. Saturdays have gone from Dullsville to a money-maker for us all. It got me by this month. But I better get off my ass and start learning to sing for my supper.
           I must borrow the over-used term “oppressive” for the heat at mid-day. The A/C here cannot keep up. This is a perpetual problem with mobile homes. The insulation cannot be made thick enough to keep the temperatures in the comfort zone without installing a second unit and paying the piper. The piper being Florida Power and Light, who double as a tax-payer supported collection agency, un-deputized sheriffs, and Big Brother. We’ve got FPL, and FPL has your file, so who needs a KGB?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++