Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, June 4, 2010

June 4, 2010


           This is a Florida bus. The sign says Biscayne Blvd. Tourists are expected to know the same road is also called Federal Hwy, Dixie Hwy and 18th Avenue. This is the transfer station up at Aventura Mall. They follow the Canadian (Vancouver) style bus schedules, where the hourly bus you need is pulling away just as you arrive. Now, there’s an idea. What about a wireless connection that signals ahead when somebody needs to make a connection? You get on the bus and press a button if you need to transfer, and your thumbprint ensures you aren’t jivin’.
           Ten week checkpoint. FireHow has turned out to be a disappointment. I’ve published 83 of my projected 100 articles and earned less than $7.00. My posts attracted just 611 clicks last month. There are many factors I can’t measure, but if money is the motive, then the experiment fails. I know the best posts are those that tell people how to bypass various measures that manufacturers would rather not be made public. It is hard to determine which are the bad posts, as most of them perform badly at first.

           I’ll still publish the planned 100 articles because the site has done wonders for my public exposure, but as a viable part time job, it is a flop. There is some potential for long term gain but the same can be said of current bank interest. My top posts are the ones that have been there the longest, with no easy method of calibrating the hits. Nor have I found my market niche; there is no category for nuclear physics or military history. I have no urgency about meeting my stated deadlines with that company.
           So that you know, my best days paid 0.0036 cents per click. My best article is how to remove the Windows counterfeiting message from pirated software. (I disagree with piracy, but I disagree even more with spyware.) I may have mis-reported my number of hits. The said best article has generated, even with ¾ of the world is on the Internet, just 145 clicks. Average (weighted) is 2 cents per article per month, meaning a living income of $200 per day would require writing 114,000 items. Now you know.

           As said, Mike has left the shop, but we have to deal with his dissatisfied customers. I empathize with judges, the absolute crap they have to put up with from people who think they know the law or their rights. One of the hundreds of laptops Mike worked on got lost when he moved, and the customer was in the shop with a fat lady who claimed to be a lawyer. Five years ago, I drew up a contract stating that Mike and I are independent sub-renters and not part of the computer store.
           One of the clauses states that in the event of a dispute, Fred is the dominant party. The fat lady was arguing that clause made Fred responsible for the missing computer. She was still at it when showed up around 10:30 AM. I told the fat lady she was full of shit, that contracts apply only to the parties who had signed them and her clients name wasn’t on it. I told her I knew what she was doing, that if she persisted I’d file a complaint of malicious prosecution, and to get out of the shop because I had work to do. The caliber of law schools in this country is abominable. So is the creature in the gif below, if it turns out.

           I agree America needs tort law reform, but at the level that prevents frivolous cases. For instance, that 79 year-old woman who sued MacDonald’s for 2.7 million back in 1992 because the coffee was hot. That’s got crooked lawyer and degenerate judge written all over it. (Her name was Stella Liebeck, who placed the scalding hot cup of coffee(yes, MacDonald's coffee is hotter than regular coffee) get this, between her legs in a car and pried off the plastic lid. Stella's IQ matches her age, you see. The coffee splashed onto her sweat pants, which held the hot liquid against her skin. Somehow, the legal system ruled MacDonald's was somehow responsible for Stella's stark stupidity. I'm surprised she didn't balance the coffee on her head, which obviously was a handy and very flat surface.)
           We need to strive to allow only one law to apply in each case. As it stands there seem to always be four or five conflicting laws, which allows a hungover judge to pick the one that fits his headache that day. But, too many people make a killing with things the way they are to ever hope for change in our lifetimes.
           Last, Jay, the new guitarist, missed practice today without calling. He gets one more chance because it was raining and he did say his phone would be out of service for a few days.

The following is a test and not part of today's blog. I am testing different video links, download times and formats. If Mitch can do it, so can I.



++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++