Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

July 13, 2010


           It’s a good thing y’day was exciting, today was a sleeper. See picture, the heat is so dank the flags aren’t waving. If these aren’t the hottest days, then this is the longest spell. So I’ll talk philosophy. Nothing else worth mentioning all day, except the music store called and my drum box should be here today or tomorrow. My philosophy is that everyone should have to take a few basic courses in law, at least civil law, so they have a clue how the court system works. Most people must get their legal training by watching Matlock.
           Who recalls the missing laptop? Well, the customer is suing everybody despite the fact who was responsible was explained to him twice. But the old bastard has got it in his head he knows it all and actually thinks he is fighting for his rights. He is wasting money, that’s what he is doing. Out of sheer spite or stupidity, often indistinguishable in this town, he is trying to sue all the small fish hoping it will help him catch the big one. The bottom line is, the computer got lost when Mike moved and that is between him ad Mike.
           Also, the shop has a policy about equipment that is left there too long, but I don't think that was the case this time. But Mike had close to 300 computers that people never came and picked up by the time he left.

           We always made it clear to every customer which business on the premises they were dealing with. It was obviously efficient to have whoever was behind the counter take in the work for others, but that is not vicarious under the circumstances. The plaintiff probably does not know what vicarious means. So, we go to the court and see if he has a better grasp on the situation when he has to listen instead of argue in circles. As usual, the uneducated do not understand the equation. To the world’s dummies, court is a first resort instead of a last one.
           I read an account of the Skate, the first sub to surface at the North Pole. It was alright except the captain kept quoting the Bible. What is it with military people and religion? There is no overlap between divine guidance and driving a nuclear warship, so who are they trying to kid? Save the Jesus talk for Sunday mornings and get on with the plot.

           On a kid’s science show, I saw an interesting seismic wave detector. I believe it picked up the S waves, as it was a spring hanging around a stationary magnet. When seismic motion caused the spring to move, it induced a current through the coils which operated a voltmeter. I find that fascinating, I may start scrounging up some spare parts around here. Hey, where’s that spring that used to close the gate?
           Back to music, I can now manage 27 tunes if I have the lyrics in front of me. I talked to the manager at Sam Ash, who says the Fishman PA is really designed for acoustic guitar, the bass response has not been tested. But, most PA systems have the same parameters, and I’ve played bass and drums through my system for three years. The sound is excellent and the volume is plenty for my purposes. I must test one of these units.
           Suzie Quatro, the bass player, reports that her worst mistake in life was “making a family member too important by explaining things in detail when I was in the right”. That’s too long for a song title and it doesn’t rhyme, but what a catchy tune. If I do say so myself.
           Guess what I heard today? The doggie wig operation may be for sale. If so, there is a potential for a little bonus, and since the selling party contacted me with that information, it is more reliable than we think. That would certainly come in handy these days. Hello Fishman PA? Or maybe the real thing, a BOSE.

           [Author's note 2017: I had 27 tunes I could play although none were polished up enough to play a gig. I didn't mark down this list to compare it to what I was doing seven years later, when I finally gave up all hope of finding a decent guitar player. I must have started close to ten times, but kept getting distracted when I meet new people.
           This time, there is no allowance for a new musician until after I get a set together. I have the Fishman PA and it works reasonably well with the bass response. However, I blame myself for keeping on looking for a guitar player before I had a set I could do myself. Seven years later, I am still stuck with neither.]


++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++