Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, July 17, 2010

July 17, 2010


           First music, then business. Take a close look at today’s photo. What do you see? I see an incredible idea. I have two Zooms in my possession momentarily before I ship the bad one back. Of course, I’m going to fiddle, I mean, most people, if they have a drum machine have but one and I’m not the sort to pass up an opportunity.
           Allow me to explain something. Many musicians use a drum box to fill in some background. Hence, their attitude that the box is full of “canned” sounds. So is their guitar, because they don’t use either one right, but that is another topic.
           I use my drum machine on a totally different plane. By proper programming, my unit contributes to the “live” feel of my stage act. It turns out the Zoom MRT has a multi-function footswitch jack. That is, rather than using it only to stop and start the drum pattern, it can be used to trigger other events. Set one machine to normal, set the other to other options and go for it.
           Therefore, the two machines in tandem had me up past midnight experimenting. It requires incredible coordination to operate. But I also know that complication merely awaits the correct person to break it down into bite size pieces and make it obey on command. One thing I learned growing up around small minds is you must keep every advancement secret until you are so far ahead nobody can catch up. I may be on to something although it will take months before it is ready. Months I don’t have right now.

           The lack of Internet access is beginning to tell around here. No, I don’t mean email. Fundamental research has become escalatingly more difficult as there are now ever fewer books published on subject matters I require. For instance, information on the iTab lyric attachment is hardly available otherwise. [Come on MicroSoft, what’s wrong with “escalatingly”? It's not like you are well-known for getting anything from context.]
           My intention to begin publishing this blog as PDF rather than text files. Right now, anybody can cut and paste and I’ve seen instances of gross plagiarism. Then again, I consider predatory commercial linking as a crime. (That’s where people who never read your blog link to it to enhance their own ratings, which are usually pretty dismal.) The information on how to go PDF is only available on-line as far as I can tell. I was in the middle of that investigation when the shop closed.

           [Author's note 2015-07-17: in the end I chose against PDF due to the added steps of conversion. And conversion back when something needed editing. I may think it over again when a PDF processor becomes as easy to use as a word processor. I retain all my backup copies of every page here if I ever decide to make that leap.]

           That’s when I was also reading up on Bit Torrent, a technology I’ve never mastered. Two reasons for that: I don’t need it much and the directions are unbelievably stupid, designed for somebody who already knows the ropes. “Re-seed the tracker to enhance your peer share ratio” and that’s step one of fifty. But a Bit Torrent term I completely grasp is “Extinction Event”, where the FBI shuts down an illegal file copy operation. As John Revolta blurts in “Broken Arrow”, I’m not surprised it happens, I’m surprised it happens so often they have a term for it.
           Next, no matter what the street talk, gold bars still come up on my charts as a good “holding investment”. There is a lot of reverse logic and myths about gold, so let explain what I calculate. I don’t care about the price of gold, only the price changes compared to other price changes. The price of gold can leap overnight, but local prices take a longer time to adjust to the fluctuations.

           That is, if gold prices double next month, house prices will remain the same for a longer period. Thus, a successful gold speculation could buy a house at “half price”. The worksheet I’ve devised over the years to monitor this facet contains 257 columns. The correct title for this series of spreadsheets would be “What if I bought gold then, held it for how long, and sold it now.”
           What I’ve come up with is a plan to buy ten ounces (not much) of gold between September 2010 and December 2012, when the world is slated to go kaput. Gold is hovering around $1,230 per ounce and may experience a drop to around $700 momentarily. Then it will surge to fantastic heights, possibly $5,000 per ounce in the short run, possibly up to $9,000 as the world figures out the US dollar con job. Ten ounces could mean $90,000 and that is a house. As I specifically stated, this is just a plan, not a commitment to anything.
           Rhino horn sells for $25,700 per pound.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++