Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, October 28, 2010

October 28, 2010

           I spent a half day at the beach y’day and it was a nice quiet stroll. The shopowners would disagree since the Broadwalk was deserted. Built in the 1920s, it has been repeatedly restored to the décor of that era. The beach itself is on a sandbar separated from the mainland by the Intercoastal waterway. I walked and rode the full six-mile length and saw a total of possibly fifty people. In that curious fashion I have only ever seen in Canada and California, the prices remain high while the property remains vacant.
           Curious, I say, because it seems they would rather not rent it at $24 than not rent it at $12. I’m referring to the portable beach cabanas available for the day, comes with two folding chairs. (Same with the old computer shop. It is currently not rented at $2,800 per month.) I saw one cabana in use. There was a rumor that the Walkabout had called it quits, but I saw staff opening up as I passed.
           I was on a callout, one of the few reasons I can justify riding my bicycle to the waterfront. The client was a very successful t-shirt store. To me, this was fascinating because the guy also works with Corel Video. Most people have heard of Corel Draw. His package is a step upward both in price and complexity. I was surprised to learn an expensive rig like Corel has no easy method of exporting the finished video so it can easily be sent as an e-mail attachment, not very bright there, guys. I showed him how to do it with third party software.

           The shop owner had been what I once wanted to be, a movie editor. That’s the guy (women, it seems, don’t do so well getting the story straight, no comment) who takes all the odds and ends and assembles them into a storyboard. Even as a child, I knew that one day that person [the one who edits the film] would be as important and famous as the director. That would have been akin to saying to my parents, “I’ve decided to write for a living, so give me $15,000 for journalism school.” And a damn quick way to get your stupid head slapped silly.
           The owner had brought to Florida, from Chicago, one of the earliest editing consoles, about the size of a station wagon. It had two massive horizontal reels, you may have seen historical pictures of the setup. It became obsolete with the digital era, but trust me, the skill set of an experienced editor is as necessary as ever. Somewhere along the line, his wife got a job with a t-shirt company. With a year, they opened their own shop and got completely out of the movie business, which tells you something.

           Getting to the ocean took an hour riding against the wind, a sea breeze. So once there, I stayed a while, only to be hit on the way back by a land breeze. I’ve considered the “Hollywood Trolley” but it leaves only from Young Circle. Nobody seems to have informed City Hall that people don’t live downtown. One still has to drive to city center and pay to park, though you can park all day without worry. The trolley is $1 each way, has a bicycle rack and departs hourly. I may give it a try, though I am slow to admit I have trouble lowering the bike rack if it isn’t already down. The bike motor is a better option. (Later, I opted or the motor.)
           Who remembers those polished rocks they sell at tourist traps? I looked into the machinery for today’s trivia. It is a tumbler that revolves or shakes and can cost from $50 to several hundred, the shakers reputedly do a better job. You add rocks and some commercial abrasive pellets and leave the thing alone for 36 hours. I had a few of these rocks as a youngster.
           They were from a place north of Montana called Drayton(?) Valley. They represented another one of those “gifts” from father whether you wanted them or not. He got me the rocks instead of the machine, but that’s the kind of thing you’d expect from that old cuss. One thing about my family, they can always better anything you come up with. He would often force some cheap trinket on you a month before your birthday and you quickly learned that was all you were going to get.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++