Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, October 9, 2010

October 9, 2010

           What a flu, with a fever of 100.4 (digital) in the Florida heat. At least it was a breezy day. I stayed indoors with a bad cough and all the usual symptoms. Dave-O called, and we are closing in on that 49cc bicycle motor. He’s found a guy who sells them preassembled. Alas, I have to budget closely, for as I mentioned, my income has been “adjusted” for the years I worked out of the country. Dammit. In fact, it may be another year (November 15, 2011) before I even consider purchasing real transportation.
           Calculations show that I can’t afford to operate a car and chances are, neither can you. While I could easily buy one, the cost of driving it is not within reason. I won’t go into it, but the American system has turned a vehicle into a costly proposition, it is not uncommon for people to spend over $9,000 per year on gas, insurance, registrations and fines. Very few are aware of the true costs, which approach a quarter of most worker's income.

           My reckoning shows my upper spending limit on a vehicle is (or will be) $1,705 annually. There is no way a car is in that picture. I require something that gets at least 75 miles per gallon and does not require insurance. (49cc motor kits, as shown here, advertise 250 miles per gallon.) My recent interest in motorcycles with a sidecar could be a premonition for all of us. Mind you, should motorcycles become a preferred mode, the DMV will find some way to mine that as well.
           Riding the bus is turning out to be acceptable once one is not compelled to do it. I’m carefully noticing this phenomenon in several ways, that previously onerous activities become semi-enjoyable when they are no longer requisites. What brought this on was a phone call from Alaine, JZ’s sister. That was also timely of her since I’ve been unable to raise JZ on the phone for nearly two months.
           The news is that JZ is spending a lot of time with his dad, who is now 91 and needs a caregiver. Alaine invited me to the church festival on Halloween weekend, saying she would pick me up if I can get anywhere near Dadeland Mall. That necessarily means I have to ride the public transport out there. Sadly, the festival is Halloween weekend and I cannot get there until the following week. She also confirmed I’d be home for Xmas. Fact is, once I get a monthly bus pass, it will be easy to visit again. Both of us live near commuter stations.
           Bingo was another success, if you consider being able to pay my cell bill on time success. I didn’t want to spread this flu around, so I left within minutes of the last round. One particularly lucky lady won $214.00. That’s info for those who think my show isn’t the real thing.
           Theresa still has stuff here, big stuff. She left a note saying she’ll pick it up. She better hurry, since I won’t protect any of it when the hammer comes down. She cashed in that favor eons ago. And brought this situation down on top of both our heads. As soon as she gets to know anybody well enough to discover their character flaws, she sinks in her fangs and won’t let go.

           Nor dies it help matters that she considers being educated a "character flaw".

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++