Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, November 27, 2010

November 27, 2010


           This scene is at the supermarket. I counted four motor scooters and thirteen bicycles at El Presidente. Two years ago, I was the only one. I will say that the Latino community is adapting to two-wheel transport infinitely faster than the Anglos. The 150cc scooter at left is completely equipped for light A/C maintenance; you can see the oversized cargo box. If you ask me, scooters are a sign of the times.
           What’s more the authorities are right on top of this increase in bicycle usage. They’ve redefined bicycles as vehicles subject to the Uniform Traffic Control Law. This means you must ride on the left, keep off the sidewalks, have head and brake lights and don’t plan on riding home drunk on New Year’s. I doubt they dare really enforce these laws, but I don't doubt they will be used to strong-arm the bike rider who doesn't "cooperate".
           While glasses and helmets aren’t required (so far), this change in the law means you can be arrested as well as ticketed (subsection 316.003(2)). Arrest means fingerprints, DNA sample, overnight in jail and bail. Don’t say I didn’t warn you it would come to this. I know, we can all laugh when the scofflaws get caught, but let’s hear what tune you whistle when it happens to your grandchildren. Socially and career-wise, an arrest is as bad as a conviction.
           For those unfamiliar with Florida law, they removed the distinction between a scooter and a motorcycle last September. I found out about it last month. Thus, I save nothing by going less than a 50cc. The tags are the same ($275) so might as well get a 150cc that will do a sustained 65 mph. So you know, scooters of any size are not legal on the freeways, state or federal. The advantages of a bicycle are now getting limited.

           Until I’m feeling more agile, the yard work and housework are low priority. I’m reading “Obsession”. The investigation has barely begun by chapter ten. The copyright says 2007 so my guess is she murdered the father who molested the girls. That’s the theme these days: loser old women blaming sex too early and loser old men blaming sex too late.
           One thing both fools have in common is their attitude that sex is something you barter for. The problem with that mindset is negotiating the right price. You need the skills of a commodity trader to win. What unbalances them: knowing others are getting it for free. You can always tell such women, they try to catch you over parallel situations because golly, it always worked for them right up to the divorce. I had one recently try to manipulate me over a freakin’ library card. Talk about small time operators.
           Tomorrow, I’m listing the Taurus for sale on CL (Craigslist) for more than book value. So far, I’ve dealt with a dozen local bargain hunters, some of whom got me down to $350 and then never showed. I don’t like the working class, never have. Probably because it is lack of education that makes them so oafish.
           Some are undoubtedly skilled, but that is not the same as having smarts where it counts. Deep down, they are all the same. They want a copy, but they don’t have a photocopier. They want a boost, but they don’t have cables. They want a receipt but they don’t have a booklet. Or a pen. Or a table to write it on. Reminds me of the Turkish girl and her computer back in the 80s. No printer, no paper, no driver, no desk, no cables, but oh yes, she had a computer same as you.
           And, oh yes, she was ready to start a business.

           Speaking of deadbeats, it is now 4:00 PM and I’ve made $80 on the Taurus so far. I hold it for a deposit, they never show, so I keep the deposit. My target date for the scooter registration is seven more days before I use my own money. The scooter has to be ready by Xmas.
           Later, I’m past half-way with “Obsession”. If you ever need insight into how the innocent get drawn into police investigations, this book clues you in. What starts as a simple comment shows how the police use an ever widening array of databases to interrogate all manner of innocent people, often blackmailing them by threatening to look “deeper” into their past. Certain patterns are automatically tagged “bad-guy behavior”, such as not having a phone in your own name. Each of these little factors chip away at personal freedom and before long, you’ve got: Canada!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++