Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

December 21, 2010

           Honest, I would have gone to the beach today but I was too broke. Instead, I used a dollar of gas to make the rounds of all the nearby trailer courts to view what was available. The bargains are there for those willing to haggle the price, I looked at places from $2,000 to $8,000 and there was not that much difference in quality of the interiors. The major difference is lot price, which ranged from $435 to $575. For those who recall, the big selling point of the place here was single pad rent for a doublewide unit.
           May I digress a little? My original plan, which I spend some 18 months putting together, was that Wallace and I have an economical place to stay in South Florida. To this day, that model remains valid, if both Wallace and I stick to the plan, we have the cheapest place in town. Shop around if you think otherwise.
           I am not planning anything, rather making sure there is always a contingency plan. Obviously my “partner” is up to something and has to make a move soon or go broke. I can move any time, but my first stop will be at my lawyer’s. Nobody tries to make my life miserable when I’m down and out and gets away with it. The mobile home that got my attention is this three and two in the beautiful Everglades Park.
           If you look closely, you can see the eviction notice (on the building shown here) on the sliding glass door. It reads $5,900 in arrears, or 13 months plus late charges. The office knows they’ll never get it. Unless they accept a reasonable offer. I love that off-street parking and the huge work shed (not shown off to the right). It is a solid unit twenty years newer than this place. But it is not to be.
           For openers, they want the new owner to pay the back rent (nothing like placing blame where it is due) and they want everybody living in a given unit to be blood relations. That crosses the line, who lives with me is my business, not the trailer park’s. They also require all guests, even casual, to register at the gate before entering. Again, over the line. Face it, right where we are is the best deal in town and more credit should be given to my original business model.
           Sometimes I wish Wallace was in the line of fire to understand how difficult it is to find good tenants in Florida. Practically every potential renter out there has been rejected elsewhere. You can be sued for selling to those who claim later they could not afford what you sold them. The Panera crowd is very aware of this law.
           I looked up the Amtrak fares for Jackie. Return trip to LA is $290. Not bad considering it is an 82 hour trip each way via Washington and Chicago. He wants to rough it; I’d like to include a few luxuries (if I’m there). I mean, how often does one take the train across America? The 43-hour stretch from Chicago to LA should, I think, include a small stateroom where a body could catch a nap on demand. It seems nothing at first glance, but I’ve experienced the agony of long trips by airline and Greyhound.
           Later, Jackie is quite enthused about train travel and California. Myself, I was set on The City of New Orleans. This trip is only $100 more. The logistics, however, are much more. While one could live on the train for the 19 hour transit and stay overnight, Los Angeles would be a four-day journey via Washington and Chicago in the middle of winter. Ground transportation in California is also a problem. I have not lived there in twenty years and don’t know anybody any more. Even old Dave Janss got married and his wife won’t even let him play pinball machines much less chum with the old gang.
           I will still set up the itinerary for Jackie, thinking along the lines of bed and breakfast. He’s the type that will stock up on hamburgers on sale and eat out of the fridge for a week. If you go to California, you should stay a week anyway. I’ll price out the usuals, including the Queen Mary and Santa Catalina. That week will cost at least a thousand dollars.