Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, January 20, 2011

January 20, 2011


           Much as I’d like to lead such exciting lives as my critics, I’m kind of stuck for now. I did spend much of the day in a wig place in Bal Harbor that had hairpieces for dogs, such as the “Lady Gaga” version shown here. I’m not laughing and I never did, as today I viewed the prestigious world award from the Intercoiffure association to my client. I’ll try to get some photos of the trophy itself, but that is hardly the point.
           This is the doggie wig place I’ve worked with since day one and the lady that combed the hair of my heroes, The Beatles. Those who make fun now do so from the public sidewalks and rented balconies. The entire story of this adventure is available right in this blog, if you care to do enough reading. Still, I can’t snipe at those who laugh because I have not seen their journal for this day. Oh, and some sharpie scanned dozens (but not hundreds) of Ruth’s signed pictures and placed them on her web site.
           Why didn’t I think of that? For some reason, they left out what I believe would be very impressive signed photographs, including Burt Reynolds and Cher. Ruth has worked with all these living legends, have I not published sample pictures here at some point? It seems I have, but you know this blog intentionally has no index.

           Over the Lehman Causeway, I took the scooter up to full speed and it was exhilarating. From crossing the drawbridge at 65 mph to several minutes later standing behind some dismal gorf at the Aventura ATM as he tries to figure out how to withdraw twenty bucks. You know the type, standing there with his finger up his. Are they stupid because they cannot think or can they not think because they are stupid? Just the fact I’d travel that fast says I have confidence in my repairs. (This turned out to be the only time I ran the scooter that fast. Normal maximum is 45 mph, usual speed is more like 30 mph.)
           Meanwhile, I’ve run into snags trying to get the Arduino IDE to operate with a communications port. All existing instructions range from poor to extremely poor. Help arrived from an unexpected sector, Mark at Hacktronics, who may be a fellow investigative sort himself. Unlike the locals here, at least he knew about the Arduino site and its contents. Keep up the good work, California.
           Okay, excusing my lousy camera, this is the Intercoiffure award. It is solid crystal, inscribed as shown and stand about a foot high. The top is just beyond the tip of the star cut off at the top of the photo. The award ceremonies take place at the Fountainbleu, I’ve never been in there. Intercoiffure is the fancy international chain of hair salons that if you have to ask, you cannot afford. You’ve most likely seen their work in those mountainous model hairworks on the runways. I prefer my women with a simple blunt cut, halter top and cutoffs. Traditional. No tattoos.

           Schwinn, the bicycle people, do not even mention an electric version of their EcoTour. Possibly, it is a conversion kit from third party sites, I’ve found out the batteries are missing and that the system is (apparently) 24 volts. There is no internal battery as I speculated, and the twin batteries are only sold by Canadian Tire at $130 each. They are removable, as they are worth more than the bicycle but I’d hate to carry those into the movie theater with me. Challenging priorities means it may be a while before I dissect that bicycle despite the fact this is shaping up to be another record month. (I did not say what record.)
           Yes, I have definitely succeeded in hacking past the library block on youTube videos. They don’t seem to have issues with other downloads, which is odd as youTube has done an admirable job of self-policing their content. The library system is so primitive it works too well. (Here is a scene that got right past the library censors. It is not what it seems, rather a still from the Two Ronnies comedy team in a skit called “The Worm That Turned”. Yet by all standards I’ve seen at the library, it should have been blocked.)
           That means they are vulnerable. Who recalls that timing system I had for my old Internet CafĂ© in mid-decade? The program that prevented people from disputing their time by displaying it on-screen? It was called Screen Shield.
           I believe the library is using a similar system. As such, it is hackable. True, one is supposed to wait one’s turn, but then, the library is supposed to be a quiet place for reading and study. Not a day care, not a meeting hall, not computer classroom, not a cell phone call center, not a teen hangout, not a detox, you get the idea. More than most of the crowd has noticed I wear earplugs in the computer room and I suspect it may become a trend.

           A notorious noisemaker gets mention today, just for being such a prick. There is a skinny black dude who must have taken the Mavis Beacon typing course. He is about twice as fast as I am, but he makes sure to click the keys as loudly as possible. That is not his claim to fame here, though, but rather that he is like my family. Pretending they are just doing what they have to but always pushing the envelope of how much they can annoy others. I can hear the bastard even with my earplugs on, but I’m the master pattern-spotter and I’m detecting a pattern in what he is typing. Or pretending to type.

           [Author's note: what I'm saying here is that he is typing some kind of drill to try to impress people in the room. But I quickly spotted this because he cannot keep up a consistent speed. So often, I would wait until he got to the part I recognized he would slow down. Then I'd type right along with him for about twenty characters. Let him know we are on to him. But I never bothered to figure out what he was typing. I was just doing the elementary typist's drill on the home row.]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++