Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, January 24, 2011

January 24, 2011

           [Author's note 2016-01-24: notice the difficulty of placing properly sized photos in private blogs by as late as 2011. This graphic appears too large for the page because the next option for size made the print too small. It's an interesting exercise for anyone learning HTML to try to size some of these older pictures. This one was a screen shot.
           Oddly, due to MicroSoft-think, taking a screen shot does not scale the resulting shot to fit on a screen. Figure that one out. The significance of this photo is that it contains an ID number that may be compatible with youTube. That would be a boon for this blog. I remind the reader that daily photos in private (non-funded) blogs like this one were still fairly rare not that long ago.]


           Progress report. An early start at the robotics bench this AM. I’m thinking to publish the results in a blog, both for information and to see if posting dates can be manipulated to make the oldest blogs appear at the bottom (instead of at the top like you see here). I tested what I could about how the microprocessor controls the circuit. If you are interested, the “minutes” consistently go into greater detail this journal.

           Nearby is a schematic of my breadboard connections related to this day. While not entirely professional, it represents one small step for a man, and also tips off the reader that what I do is documented, a feature lacking for the learning curves of most adults. It also tells you I still do not have a decent camera that will take macros of the circuit.

           The progress is okay as far as I can say, though I have no idea how it compares to others. Don’t worry, if I’m going too slow, somebody will say something. I was amazed at the accuracy of that digital multimeter I bought at the flea market for $5.00. I was unable to test amperes, more by my lack of knowledge than the concept. I found the 9V battery connectors on the market use stranded wire, something you don’t want near your breadboard. However, the stranded is more flexible so I sacrificed a store-bought jumper to solder something I could use.
           Up at Kmart, I found a cordless Dremel tool for $25 or half the price that Home Depot charges for a chorded model. Granted, Home Depot is not a hobby supply store, but even the catalogs they have on display carefully do not hint at lower priced units. Most satisfying activity this day was soldering. When I went to solder the 9V connector just cited, I made the joint, tinned the iron, soldered and shrink-tubed it, being almost finished before I realized how automatic it is becoming. Wishful thinking or good luck I dunno, and the 9V Energizer is only 8.64V.
           This Currie Technologies must have the worst advertising department of the age. Their site repeatedly fails to answer searches for electric bicycles or conversion kits. It does appear down the page as Izip but that is not yet a household word.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++