Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, March 3, 2011

March 3, 2011


           This is the west side of Greynold’s Park. The side unknown to local bluegrass performers. It has a series of walk paths and this scene is typical of the scenery. Remember, the Greynold’s Park seen by most people is the tiny east side seen from US1. You can’t get here from there, you have to turn onto Dixie, a ratty street in this part of town. I’ll likely walk this path soon. If one believes eHarmony, the wayside should be congested by single women who love candlelight dinners and the simple things in life.
           Even though I decry e-readers, mine did still come pre-loaded with some Sherlock Holmes. So I’m reading it and much of it for the first time. I was exposed to it in grade school but found it to be contrived and trite. Now I can see the why and how Doyle wrote it so. What has not changed is my dislike of mystery novels that don’t provide the clues in advance so a clever reader can at least guess the outcome.

           Classic case is when Sherlock calls a stranger by name, which never ceases to stun Watson (some doctor). Only afterwards are we informed that in that era, men wore hats which had their full name and middle initial inscribed on the headband, which could be read if the hat was held outwards. That, plus nobody had informed the reader the man was trying to remain anonymous, so each instance of this technique comes as a surprise. Until you get used to it. Don’t we all love to meet somebody new who instantly starts treating you like the bad guy? Like the jerk who sits on the witness stand and says, “Ah, it’s still warm!”
           I downloaded the Borders’ e-reader software and it is still in test mode. While the claim there are tons of free e-books may be true, getting to them is not always free, or easy. It is not like the claim the e-reader will hold 2,000 books is backed up by a list of those books on the seller’s website. Glancing through Gutenberg and other “free” offerings shows there is a lot of junk out there. I eventually eschew e-readers.
           Beware of misleading titles, particularly the type of title designed to be found by a search engine rather than give back accurate results. One of my carefully coded searches for books on extraterrestrial life returned with a book of poetry by some lady who was worried that aliens would block her telepathy with her mother in Wisconsin. Lord help such people if they every encounter intelligent life.

ADDENDUM
           Dave-O was by today and he is not doing well. It is hard for me to accept that western chemical medicine still issues painkillers as a "remedy". I had him sit down and drink tea and made cucumber sandwiches, him being English and all. He can barely stand up so I let him sit up in the shade for the afternoon. I’m no doctor but that guy is going to die unless they keep him on meds. He can't play guitar, either.
           I reviewed security tapes today to see that Theresa was poking around the propertys while back. Even asked the neighbors where her living room suite was. Same place as her rent, I suppose, nowhere to be found. Claims to have been gallivanting around the Carolinas for the past four months. Must be nice to have disposable income.

           I took a few hours off and re-read that Radio Shack booklet on power supplies. This time, it makes more sense. I kind of said I would not get into the formulas and such behind the scenes. Fact is, those equations are already in my head. I subconsciously examine the formula whenever the accompanying text or schematic is unclear. And, being written by engineers, it usually is. Ergo, a book on power supplies gets equal footing as mention of Theresa. Both are about the same as for interest levels. But I can tell you which is the more useful around here.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++