Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, March 7, 2011

March 7, 2011


           Why, it's the Arduino sequence I programmed recently. It's hard to see and for some, even harder to appreciate. This is a series of green LEDs (light emitting diodes) that I can get to flash in almost any pattern without rearranging the wiring or components. Shown here is the ordinary breadboard to the right, with two green bulbs on, and a third just beginning to glow. This is controlled by the Arduino on the left which has a green power light showing.
           The orange wires along the top are the digital signals from the Arduino, the rest of the wiring is common grounds. The picture also gives you an idea of the relative sizes of the objects I am working with. This is my most advanced project to date.

           Time to admit I’ve been reading Sherlock Holmes. I see that back in his era, midgets from India, exposed ceiling beams, and deaf servants were far more common, at least at crime scenes. Also, the guilty party was always narrowed down to less than three suspects instantly, likely due to lack of databases and arbitrary road-side searches. It is, mind you, refreshing to read of a detective who is not divorced, who smokes, drinks, and has no high placed connections left over from the last war.
           There is an interesting perpendicular [as opposed to a parallel] in all this. Much of what I now read, you’ll find most men read the material when they were in grade school. Now they spend half their lives and money unsuccessfully chasing after the thrills they missed out on when young enough to enjoy them. I spent my grade school years successfully chasing women, not reading books. I missed out on nothing in the sex department, and while I still can’t find a decent non-clinging self-supporting open-minded woman, neither can they.
           Here is another photo of my robotics study, this time my work bench. Note the lack of clutter compared to someone testing electronic equipment. Mind you, this is not my assembly area, just where the final products get tested.

           Dave-O was over this morning. We drank herb tea in the shade, mainly because I’m not sure what else he’s allowed. It seems one of the meds they gave him loosened the wall or lining of his stomach. He’s becoming a poster child for a weight-loss studio. I rigged up a radio in the front window so we could listen to Magic 105. I strongly advised him to go get food stamps. Food stamps are a nutritional program, not welfare.
           By how things go, things now back on my diet include popcorn and peanut butter, and this Thursday I’m expected more good news as my symptoms have been under control for a year now. I await the day when I get the go ahead for chocolate. Then you’ll find me in aisle 7, between the Cadbury’s and Roundtree’s, across from the Lowney’s and Hershey’s. Where all those little packages used to be.
           Feeling more chipper, we took a close look at my desk, the one that caught termites from the Florida room. Hey, don’t look at me, I would have had them exterminated the instant I saw them. Talk to the landlord, he knows everything there is to know about rental property in Florida, I’m told. The desk is salvageable because there is a spray that penetrates the wood, creating a ¾-inch poisonous barrier to the insects, trapping them inside the wood. The desk is outside right now, exposed to the sunlight according to directions.

           I believe I’ll sell the toothpick wagon. It doesn’t make sense to keep it now that I don’t have a car to tow it. Sure, it is handy when you need it, but most of the time you don’t. Time to dump all your deadweight. There is a seminar advertised on the radio that pushes all the concepts I’ve been warning people about for years. Why a house is not an asset, why money in the bank is a guaranteed loss, and why people only think they know how to retire. Not only will I retire early, by then I’ll have had twenty years practice.
           Blog rules I report the most impressive woman of the day. No contest, it is the lady at the library. It is so nice to know someone who realizes there are more books in the world than Harlequin Romances and Danielle Steele. At least I hope so. She’s turned her ankle walking the dog and is getting around on crutches. Or what are they called these days? Personal Levitation Devices? What a strange thing to call a dog.
           And a perfect day it was. Constant 78 degrees, light wind from the west. If it’s a little cold up north, that’s because all the tax collectors live up there. Oh, I believe in tax, just not income tax. Make the user pay. That would clean up a lot of people’s acts, having to pay for what they use, or even being forced to realize it isn’t free. Remember Independent Mike? He knew his welfare check came from the government, he don’t buy that nonsense that it came from taxes.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++