Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, April 10, 2011

April 10, 2011


           Scooter maintenance. I early discovered Chinese scooters have bad electronics. Bad, because they are not properly covered or isolated from moisture, vibration and dirt. Or bad owners. The factory bulbs corrode easily on these scooters, and I replaced the headlamp. I am pointing to the exposed leads behind the bulb, you can see the green and yellow wiring. During the process, I waterproofed all I could find. I’m thinking of rigging up a buzzer turn signal indicator as the dash is hard to read in bright sunlight.
           How to tell if bingo was successful: I do nothing the next day. That’s right, I’m watching “Dennis the Menace” re-runs. They represent the same level of intellect as the news and talk shows. But one series I would really like to see come back is “Have Gun Will Travel”. Because I had the highest school marks, I was allowed to stay up until 9:30 once a week and watch TV. I chose that show and a documentary called “The Valiant Years”, narrated by Winston Churchill.

           A little bad news. One of the staff cars was broken into outside bingo last evening. Right near where my scooter was stolen. I’ve got a dollar says it was the same people and that we now have a gang working that neighborhood. I won’t say what color that gang is, but it is time for a security camera. Or at least a fake camera. And who do we know that can build one with flashing lights and motion detectors? The thieves got a pack of cigarettes and a GPS unit.
           The days of the little mouse in the house are numbered. I’m against killing anything except for food, but he’s got to go. He’s learned to get into everything, so if I step out today, it will be up to WalMart for the execution gear. How can I be in favor of the death penalty (in confessed cases of unrepentant cold-blooded murder and scooter thieves) but am bothered by killing a pest? Some soldier I’d make.

           But nothing is what I prefer to do today. Except cooking, I like to cook. You watch, Dave-O will be over, so I’ll make Texas beef stew. We can sit around and talk Texan. Remember, though, that for our common backgrounds, Dave-O and I are worlds apart on most everything else. The stew takes six hours. Restoring the files on my computer takes 60 hours. I’ll be doing nothing for a long time this week.
           Generally we talk about the things cranky women think guys waste time talking about. The same women who think we don’t ask for directions when in fact that is only the dunce they teamed up with. One thing for sure is different about how men talk and women talk. When men talk, the job eventually gets done. If saying that got yer goat, um, well, it just proves I’m right. Ha, that was fun.

           Every once in a while, somebody comes up with software that really works. I mentioned last day about losing 300,000 files due to a disk error. That error was the thorny “lost partition”, a situation where the mighty MicroSoft sits there like a stunned ape and can’t do a damn thing. Nor are there any clear instructions what to do, I suspect MicroSoft themselves have made sure of that. Suffice to say if you like MicroSoft and this disk error occurs, you are in deep do-do.
           There are recovery programs out there, since deleted files are a software consideration. The top-rated version, EASEUS, does not do the one thing it is supposed to—scan to pick out the lost files and remount the disk. I was about to give up when I tried some freeware by Atola Technology. That’s Atola, not Ayatolla. In fact, I was so impressed, I’ll tell you how to use it.
           The software is called “Partition Find and Mount”. You take the bad drive and connect it to another computer with a working hard drive. Master/Slave doesn’t seem to make any difference. If you don’t know what I’ve said so far, don’t proceed. Find help, but don’t pay a lot, the operation is simple. Then you run the software and it lists all the drives, including the bad one. Choose to scan the bad one. A 250GB hard drive scans in less than five minutes.
           Normally the scan will say two things, first “no visible partitions found”, which is correct because it found the problem. Then right under it will list a Partition 1. It may find more but most consumer disks have only one. If you see it, you may have just saved your sorry ass. Click on the “Open Image” button and see if your files are there.

           There is another button that says “Mount As . . .” and you use it to create a new drive number. I chose K: to make sure nothing got clobbered. In less than a minute, you have a new drive and there are your files. One caution is that the free version of the software has the data speed limited to 512KB/sec, but I do believe I will purchase the pro version of this wonderful software.
           I am resolved to investigate bulk storage devices. I realize now the danger of having both copies in one place at the same time even for the brief period they were being copied. These are not old love letters; there were banks of files: passwords, journals, tax records, legal documents, phone numbers, and thousands of scans of every important paper I’ve ever handled. All my band records, drum beats, music, lyrics and videos. That was too close a shave.
           Dave-O showed up, it’s getting hot in the afternoons. I made spaghetti sauce from the leftover meatloaf and we got so stuffed we fell asleep watching my Superman disk. This is the way Sunday’s should be, you know. Find me just one more babe in this entire planet and life will be complete.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++