Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

April 19, 2011


           A few more hours of research raises the probability that all five of the diagrams I used to test my transistor circuitry were wrong. As shown here, somebody is dead wrong, dead stupid, or both. I long for the days when it was necessary to consult only one or two authorities. Now I discover a dozen publications that show I must use the exact opposite type of transistor and place the LED in the exact opposite position.
           Never read a safe or poison mushroom chart off the Internet, the greatest medium for dispensing misinformation ever invented. In fourteen hundred and ninety three, Columbus sailed the deep blue sea. Stupidity can now spread at the speed of light, which is actually quite slow for the town I grew up in, where it moved at warp 9. That town was so small it still doesn’t have a gay dating post on the Internet.

           I found another blog, Paul's Electronics , (which will not link) with much the same research I’m doing, the author is looking into LED matrix displays. While he occasionally mentions he is reviewing things from his degree in electronics “15 years ago”, my studies date back an entire 15 weeks. That’s a nice boost. Since his site is glossy with perfect spelling and grammar, I intend to study it for answers.
           Already, many questions about my sewing class. Folks, I don’t know. That’s why I tend to wait until after I’ve done something to report it here. Revealing advance plans attracts people who will wind up interfering in some manner. You know what I mean. My family never learned to mind their own business because they were always 100% right 10% of the time. I just signed up and have not taken the lessons yet. It teaches how to sew a straight line using a sewing machine. Maybe fashion design is next semester. I don’t even know how to cut cloth yet.

           Nor do I own a sewing machine and was hoping to learn about that, too. I’m also going to the class to meet women, hell, I’ve tried everything else. A woman learning to sew is a better bet than one who can, but doesn’t, no names mentioned. It is intended to be a money-saver, not a money-maker. But I’m a fast learner and I intend to thread her bobbin, whoever she is. (The sewing machine was completely eclipsed by a electronics in a matter of months.)
           Later, by early afternoon, a small breakthrough, as I rigged up a series of known voltages to the transistor circuit and stepped through progressive stages of resistance. I am on to something in that if the load is light enough, it is easy to supply enough current through the transistor base to operate the circuit. I have the lightest of loads, an LED with a 1,000Ω resistor. I surmise the correct resistance is somewhere between 5,000Ω and 100,000Ω, the only combinations I can’t test yet. (I have an aversion to doing the math because I don’t learn anything that way, which I realize is the opposite of most people.)

           It is even later and I went to the Barn for the afternoon, reading up on transistors. In another flattering discovery, a new book by that Simon Monk guy shows that we independently reached the identical solution to the 7-segment LED display. In fact, I would have bought the book ($25) except he did not proofread it himself. There were several diagrams that could not exist in reality.
           But it was with great interest I read his passages on multiple LEDs. He started off using arrays, something I avoided to make the code more understandable. The standing joke right now is my time machine (The Spirit of St. Jimbos) can only go back to single digit years. I need four LEDs and I will be forced to multiplex (use arrays).

           As I chug along the railway of knowledge, I’m developing my own theory of ganging these LEDs together. By now, I am curious to know if my thinking will match the published sources. I’ve been doing okay so far. I’m thinking these things are “common cathode”, meaning maybe I can get away with controlling just the positive pins and using transistors to turn the ground (the common cathode) off really fast to fake the display. Like I mean, really, really fast.
           My last calculation today was to note new clothes prices, and I went to the so-called discount stores. It has been years since I could shop for fashion rather than what I could afford. That is why I also read several sewing books on how to modify and follow trends. Even though this sewing course is costing me $17.50 per hour, it could be a fantastic bargain if I accomplish what I set out to do. Hems, sleeves, and pockets.
           I’ve also examined how to follow sewing patterns, but only for curiosity at this point. Paying close attention to the measurements that match my size and shape, I can already see why some shirts I own are not favorites, and more valuably, what can be done about it. However, that is far off the scale of what I set out to do for now.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++