Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, May 30, 2011

May 31, 2011


           There’s nothing like a snap of some food to cover a quiet day. This was a day I did nothing and I can understand the attraction. Just don’t do nothing too long or you can’t catch up if you change your mind. This is my Russian baked chicken with rice. Surprisingly light on the calories, so dig in for seconds. I made that dish, checked in on Dave-O, got the prescriptions, tested the new battery charger, and wrote a dynamite review on my new Canon printer. But other than that, it was slack time.
           I swear, there is something changed about the way they make or fill propane bottles these days. I swap my units out for full ones, but sometimes I appear to get less. My usage is consistent and my oven pilot light very intolerant of weak pressure, so I know when there is something funny going on. Maybe I’ll weigh the next tank full and empty. It would explain everything if I’m getting only 44 to 46 pounds instead of the 50 advertised. I am very used to propane appliances.

           This was one slow month. Phooey on people who say time flies, they aren’t doing much. May also represents five years that I’ve been performing at Jimbos, though that includes bingo. I’ve purchased $3,842.42 worth of music gear. That figure does not include money paid in operating expenses, which represent 15.6% of every dollar. No, I have never said the total I’ve made, but let me say I would currently find $100 per gig very attractive money. If you are hiring, now is the time to contact me.
           Idiot video of the month award goes to MicroSoft’s What is Cloud Computing, a clip that is supposed to educate you about the cloud. But we are talking MicroSoft. The cloud is the cloud, because it is the cloud, which is the cloud, therefore the cloud is the cloud, both your public cloud and your private cloud. Like Vista, the cloud will solve all your problems. See, you are smarter already.

           My explanation lacks a video. Cloud computing is identical to the old “dumb terminal” concept, where the computer on your desk (the client) has no programs or data. Instead, you connect to a central computer (the host) that stores all applications and data, but this time you pay a rental fee to the owner of the host. Initially you save a little because you don’t buy the applications and install them, and dumb terminals are cheap.
           Dumb people are even cheaper. Think about it. “Rent” and “Ransom” both start with R. All your data is on somebody else's server. Your private files are subject to warrantless searches because it is their computer, not yours. Every keystroke will be analyzed behind your back. Remember, it is the people with nothing to hide that get their identities stolen. Most common ID scam today? Using your on-line resume to apply for your tax refund before you do. But God forbid that anyone should ever call you paranoid, so keep on throwing your personal data out there. Somebody will catch it for you.

           If you think you can trust cloud computing, fine. But when I ask for an explanation and they start talking “fine-grained”, “two-pizza” and “location-based”, it is time to metaphorically pat them on the head and send them outside to play. To imagine cloud computing, picture a world organized and run like the DMV. It’s not even noon over there and already they are higher than an elephant’s ass.
           The club meeting today was teleconference through our new secure link. We are at a crossroads. We know our antennas are built right, we know we have them connected properly, we know that a solution is near. That is why by Thursday’s meeting we are hoping for a major breakthrough, when everything suddenly begins working. Every step has been confirmed a dozen times by my studies, and checked that many times on Agent M’s workbench.
           We have progress despite the fact it does not show. If ensues that the purse strings are getting looser and club purchases have become more directed. For example, we now know that packet analysis is best done with two computers and two antennas operating together. One unit actively creates the traffic, the other passively monitors it. My DOS background is an inestimable advantage. I have downloaded technical videos on the topic and am converting them to disk for our next session. We estimate we now have one equivalent year of college on this subject at a total cost of $27.72.