Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, June 16, 2011

June 16, 2011


           Here is our planned 2012 WiFi antenna. Ah, you knew I just kidding. This is some television tower out west in Pembroke Pines. It is hurricane proof, but you can see nobody in real estate has built condos near the beast. I like that word “festooned”, as was this tower with 27 other antennas that I could see.
           The scooter be praised. Without it (meaning with a car), I may not have found my doctor’s new office on time this morning. Google and MapQuest say they are current but their satellite needs a swift kick in the modules. In the end, I turned around and drove the scooter 2.8 miles up the sidewalk against the one-way traffic until I found the address. Nobody said a word.

           Not a word. That could be that although I made this trip in what is the traditional morning grid-lock jam, there were so few cars on the road I arrived almost 45 minutes early, wasted trying to find the correct exit. I realize it isn’t meaningful to everyone, but I’ve lived here twelve years and the lack of traffic on the roads is a true phenomenon. Something serious is wrong.
           I passed the test of a half-mile on the treadmill, something impossible a year back. It was like mountain climbing. But I did it. Then another hour with the blood sample people. I arrived home seven hours later with hardly the energy to stand, yet the club meeting was on time. We are diverging into two departments: Planning and Production. For all our early inefficiencies, it would be crazy for anyone to quit now. Read on.

           For the fourth time in five months, I’ve sought components and been informed as of recently, they are not in stock. One expects that with car parts, not integrated circuits. It almost seems stores are discontinuing stock the week or month before I need it. Four times in a row. The common reason was given by Radio Shack, “Nobody was buying them.” How strange my timing, I get into the business just as others are getting out. That should tell you what an intellectual wasteland Florida truly is.
           Because we could not get any straight answers from anyone, the club admits we have encountered a roadblock with our antennas. In the interim, it is going to be store-bought units to keep communications secure. Agt. M had completed the solar-powered camera unit, making it far better than I could have. That guy can repair anything with hot glue and duct tape. We have also modified the scooter to flash a bright light (brighter than the sun) when I forget to cancel a turn signal.

           This signal device demonstrates our differing backgrounds. Agt. M as raised in Romania with practically an entire junkyard at his disposal and the encouragement to learn all he could by any means. One the other hand, I had no tools and no access to even scraps of material, not to mention attempting to gain a useful skill in my family was a punishable offense. Thus, Agt. M was astonished when I designed the circuit on paper with three parts, whereas his pragmatic approach would have worked, but with ten times the complication. At the same time, I could not have built his version. Our skill sets are meshing grandly.
           As proof of faith in his abilities, he may soon be permitted the supreme honor of actually installing some electronics on my bass. Meanwhile, research continues on logic gates. We already have a few people regretting they didn’t join up for what would essentially been a free ride to where we are today. Or as I like to put it, I gave myself six months to get two years experience.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++