Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, June 25, 2011

June 25, 2011


           Oh no, here’s more “extensive damage”. This time replacing some light bulbs on the scooter this morning before sun up. China is the new Russia for copying patented parts, and the bulbs are duplicates of standard Sylvania LLs from the local auto shop. I was warned in advance about the poor wiring on these scooters, but I had just started studying electronics and had utter faith in my ability to learn to fix these things.
           The bulbs give more trouble than the wiring, and beware every second one is a right hand thread in a fragile plastic housing. The side marker and headlight indicator bulbs cost me $10.58. But that is nothing compared to the tiniest repair on my old Ford Taurus. Another thing with the Taurus was I tended to buy the cheapest parts that worked. With the scooter, each step is usually an upgrade.

           Dave-O came by last night so we ate popcorn and watched cops and robbers videos. The talk is still that out of town trip. How about that? Six months ago we didn’t have $20 between us and now we are planning a vacation. (By coincidence, we both are under a series of medical appointments that end on the 11th.) I actually built a logic circuit while we were distracted and watching DVDs. Good, for it took two weeks of doldrums and study to get there. That’s another reason I’m suspicious of these high school “robot” teams mentioned y’day. They are moving too fast for what I know to be the correct pace.
           You see, I remember crystal clear what I was like compared to other students in my high school and I don’t believe for a second students today are really any brighter. I recall the limitations and capabilities of my classmates and things have not changed. These new students have got to be assembling kits, which is not the real deal. I’m also skeptical of teams. Unless I’m the captain. There are far too many teams out there for the number of smart-enough students and that is that. And yeah, I am smarter than a twelfth-grader.

           Mind you, I don’t discount circumstances. Like the fact they (the other twelfth-graders) have money, parents, support and encouragement. For instance, I went to school with Sheila G., the ungifted daughter of a banker. So when I hear she became a famous lawyer, you’ll have to forgive me if I’m suspicious. People like Sheila who have to study every day just to maintain a B average in elementary are not famous lawyer material. True, she did it, but that can’t be the whole story. Therefore, I’ll check if these robot shows are open to the public. Until I see for myself, I’m not buying into any hype.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++