Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, August 28, 2011

August 28, 2011

           Fancy breakfast at the Senor Café this AM, not a word of English was spoken. I rode the electric bike over. Their café con leche is still the best in town, on a par with what you get in downtown Caracas if you stay away from Sabana Grande. Here is sunrise over Federal Hwy, one of those dazzling mornings we get right after a hurricane near-miss.            I had the big breakfast, with the $3 glass of orange juice, an indication of how bingo went. Let’s just say it came within striking distance of a record, and certainly it was a record for a month’s end pre-rent long weekend. Maybe I’ll tank up the scooter and go buy some new shirts later today. That’s not a commitment, as the bright morning can mean an afternoon from hell.
           By 8:00 AM I dropped in on Dave-O. He’s fine, just working hard and needing rest. The stubborn cuss will not ever ask for help. He can lift weights again so his arm is responding to therapy. I do not know how the guy can climb stairs wearing a carpenter’s belt all day; he is no where near back to his old self yet. Always mention Louisiana, and if he starts in about old times, you know he’s okay and you can be on your way.
           Gold is top news again, this time hitting $1830 before Friday closing. My calculations show it is still not balanced with silver. I suspect flight from the stock market is over-pricing silver simply because the working class can no longer afford gold ounces, the logical purchase size. Gold is now something I think of in grams. It’s uncanny that I can finally look at gold again only when it hits an historical high. At least real estate is still acting like a sinkhole. Twenty houses sold in Hollywood this month, less than a tenth of normal. Condos are selling but because of exorbitant fees to cover huge vacancy rates, how the fools rush in.
           I finished the newest novel, and not a moment too soon. Even during their most passionate encounters, Sabrina and Dylan always kept marriage and children as the real goal. Sabrina was such a wonderful person that not one of the 30-year executive staff were miffed as she came out of nowhere, made vice-president and blunted their career aspirations. What a gal! How do we just know this story never happened in New Jersey?
           The young mechanic at the scooter store has reached the same conclusion I did months ago. The electrical wiring is crap and it needs a locally designed replacement. I’ve been through four headlights, two taillights and two side marker lights since March. The ideal replacement would use all solid state parts, including the lights. At this point, we don’t yet even know if that is allowed.
           If I didn’t say, I’ve contacted a guy who is going to coach me on the method and equipment of setting up on of the new programmable routers. These do all the things that older routers were supposed to. In particular, they have a secure sharing layer, where I can easily connect one high speed service line and rent it out to as many neighbors as the speed permits. This, incidentally, has always been legal, but the manufacturer’s don’t exactly want you to know about it.
           While up at the Depot checking on antenna parts, who do I bump into but one of my former guitar students from the Hialeah 505. She’s as utterly good-looking as ever and I am no longer bound by my student-teacher rule (at least one year of no contact) and she has been taking $50 per hour guitar lessons. What a racket that is. We are getting together in a few days for a jam session. She’s my type you know. Slim, blue eyes, pulls in $65K per year.