Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, August 7, 2011

August 7, 2011


           Here's something unusual. It is a swatch of cloth showing my progress over a single hour on the sewing machine. This rainy Sunday also made it a cool day and I spent 12 hours on logistics. I fixed the loose stair treads, charged all batteries, organized the shed, and vacuumed in all the corners. Like most mobile homes, my A/C can keep up but not prevent mid-day mugginess. So I need the cool spell to tackle indoor chores.
           During which I took breaks on the sewing machine. If you examine the pattern from left to right, hopefully you can spot the improvement. Surprise, each machine takes some getting used to and this one has to be fine-tuned. You can see how I snagged a few areas before I clued in and adjusted both the thread and bobbin tensions in tandem. You can call this some of my earlier work. Hey, two months ago I couldn’t solder a radio. So, what did you learn new today?

           You can judge a Sunday around here by how things went at bingo. I didn’t make the Diplomat this morning, but I did have brunch at Senor CafĂ©. That place got popular, so it is no bargain any more. The $1.50 coffee and empanada is now $3.00. I was also testing the charge on the eBike, which appears to hold a charge quite well. At least while new. I cancelled earlier plans to see a tropical tree festival when upon re-reading the fine print, discovered only the admission was free.
           Add cancelled because of nobody to go with. That’s right, can’t find a decent woman to take on a date. Seems this happens every summer in Florida, I’ve hit another dating doldrums. Every female I know is married, shacked-up, insane, or not decent. It makes one reminiscently fond of the old phone company, where all the single women were, how shall I put this, single beyond belief. But they each brought home $40,000 a year.

           Never doubled dated so much in my life as back then. You see, a lot of these women also just wanted a man to go out with, or equally important, not to be seen going out alone. In that sense, large groups of unattached females served as a brake on the crazy behavior you get when a woman thinks she’s your only hope in hell. It was I who got choosie who I went out with, and I must say with few exceptions, I did date the very best they had to offer. It got me spoiled, that much I'll admit.
           The super computer remains in the shop, and it is being rolled back a full generation. The motherboard is replaced by last year’s model and I am rejecting all new RAM models until they iron out the bugs. My entrenched backup systems mean I lost nothing in the archives, but this delay has put my current records now a month behind. We are trading off the slightly slower CPU by installing 2gB of RAM. I'm not a gamer, so that is ten times what I need for the speed of my programs.
           Here's a pic that tells the tale of "hobby" shops. A hobby should be that what amuses you, like a casual girlfriend. But what changes when that girlfriend pre-calculates the maximum you would spend if the relationship was your job instead of your hobby? Here is a pair of scissors retailing for $24.99 or over $26.00 with tax, that is, more that I spent on the sewing machine. These are ordinary snips, so you don't even want to hear about the pinking shears. I am reminded that the situation is precisely the outcome of capitalism as predicted in 1935 by Adolf Hitler. He said ultimately every business would fine-tune some step of the production process to gouge anyone who tries to get ahead. True, you could shop around, but they've calculated that, too. You have to have transportation, time, and correct change for the parking meter before it is worth your while. Fine-tuned.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++