Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, September 3, 2011

September 3, 2011

           Who remembers the Liberty Dollar? This is the outfit in Idaho that minted dollars backed by metal. I learned today that Sunshine Minting in my old stomping grounds of Coeur d’Alene, ID, was raided by the Feds and charged with producing counterfeit coins. Really? I thought it was the Feds circulating coins with no value. Despite the fact there are at least five other companies producing alternative currencies, Sunshine was targeted.
           Anne M. Tompkins, an attorney, said the Liberty Dollar was a “unique form of domestic terrorism seeking to undermine the legitimate currency of this country”. North Carolina, where do you find these people? Even their lawyers are clearly inbred up there. Three guesses how she got through law school, I mean, anybody who worships Fed money that much, well, use your imagination.
           Oh, and during the raid, the Feds seized 8 tons of gold, silver, platinum and copper. Why not grab the money while you’re there, right guys? According to Sunshine, their website became unfunctional at the same time the door was bashed in. I am not sure of the outcome of the trial, but Sunshine was convicted of possessing “coins of resemblance and similitude”. The raid came shortly after the mint began producing Ron Paul Dollars. Coincidence? Perhaps.
           What a pity this could happen in what was once the greatest nation in history. Then again, if you look back in history, every government that used unbacked paper currency enacted laws making it illegal to refuse it in payment. The mint’s website is operating again and I notice they are selling blank slugs instead of anything that looks like a coin in design.
           While this blog is not about the mystic, in a dream last night I saw a television commercial for Texas. At the end, the single word “Texas” appeared on the screen, and Dave Savino, my buddy from twenty years ago said, “That’s a neat ad”. The word “Texas” was clear letters on a beige background so you could see through the letters to the scenery behind. But if you looked at the beige part, it clever outlined the word “Hilton”. I do not know if this is possible in reality.
           I fixed the broken brake light on the scooter, which took up the entire morning. That’s parts and labor, getting the right bulb and then fishing it through the fender well of the rear tire. It gave me time to think about the situation with music. I know I have a workable system, but why are these Florida musicians so easily able to dupe me for an entire month (on average) before I find out they have been stringing me along? And every time? This is no isolated incident, the last five in a row have done this. They are not intelligent enough to act in collusion, so what gives? Are they learning this behavior from a common source or possibly reacting to some local constant I have not yet dealt with?
           Certainly, one of the universal trends is that I have been auditioning people who clearly but falsely claim they have stage experience. I’m finding later they tend to be referring to a single band they once played in thirty years ago. Bands and stage experience are not the same. Look at the Hippie, who couldn’t read a crowd if they were using hand puppets and semaphore flags. Pardon me, he does read a crowd but always gets it exactly 180 degrees wrong.
           The satisficing solution is to quit allowing the newcomers to chose their own 15 songs. Start them right in learning mine and sack them if they don’t pass muster. After they prove they have what it takes, I can pretty much guaranty I can learn their song list in a matter of hours. The major effect I’ve found of being able to sing is that limits the excuses the other guy can make to disguise the fact he is refusing to do a certain tune. I’ve also picked up many vibes that because I play bass, it is assumed I can’t do “complicated” music. In all, it is time to become a dictator, at least temporarily, until the band is up and running. Compromise has gotten me nowhere in six years.
           Trivia. I read an interesting account of Panamanian bank laws and transactions. It seems clear to me that most of the really large banking is being done at a national level. So the question is raised, who besides government has the immunity to push this kind of money around? Nobody. Only governments have the armed force to get away with it. The next logical question is; which particular government on Earth would stand, if they were so inclined, to make the most money by keeping drug prices high by outlawing drugs in their own country and laundering trillions through Panama? You do not have to answer that question if you don’t want to and it will not be on the exam.