Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, October 16, 2011

October 16, 2011

           A nice long blog today, I was rained in. This means an additional study session and this time I took a close look at the dividing line between where one uses microprocessor programming and where ordinary passive components are good enough. It was either that or watch John Candy or Tony Curtis reruns and try to decide if they are more entertaining than my 10K potentiometer. They lost. I’ve decided to program is a sketch that tests every combination of pins on a mystery LED. (Sketch is the Arduino term for computer code.)
           Up until now, we’ve been throwing out salvaged LEDs that we can’t identify. The sheer number of pin combinations make these a tough test. This may be a chance to also build a physical tester. My coding is still ten years ahead of my practical. If you can’t instantly see how I test all 169 pin configurations with two commands, ask Patsy. She knows all about this stuff. She’s a programmer, you know.
           Argh, I hate Windows7 Word. If you have any brains at all, each Word version just gets harder to use. I still can’t turn off that asinine “Calibri” font, and when you insert a picture, the cursor sits in front instead of after the insert. It’s shit like that, MS. I understand MS’s philosophy, that their products are designed for Suzy Dumtwit who sits around all day typing letters she can’t read or comprehend, but leave well enough alone why can't you. What is wrong with you people?
           Have you seen the new PayPal account rules? By signing up, you are giving them complete permission to investigate anything they please, including examining your bank account for “risk management” purposes. They only “permit” you to use their service and to do so they “require” as much personal and private information as is known to exist, and can deny you access if they discover there is any source of personal information that you did not reveal to them. Whether or not they use any given source, it must be declared. Don’t look at me, I warned the lot of you twenty years ago.
           Another downpour all day, the stormiest non-hurricane weather since 2005. I watched some colorized newsreels from WWII and I say, the new methods produce very authentic results. But somebody should tell those numbskulls who post on youTube that a series of still photographs or a slideshow is not a video. How those jerkfaces get their lame posts to the top of every search I’d like to know. They should get their own site.
           Further reading bears out my prediction that the Arduino would become a standard in the robotics field. They are now selling by the millions and I should say they are not restricted to robotics, rather that is field into which I decided to explore.            The whole area is mushrooming, there are even new products such as thermal printers that are intended to be operated by the Arduino. Don’t mistake my early start with any kind of head start, I require hundreds of hours of study just to catch up.
           Here is a picture of the thermal printer from an informative but poorly written set of blogs at tronixstuff. I don’t mean the bad grammar, but the author, Viklund, is not proofreading his own work, rather grinding the material out as fast as he can. He is also thinking like an engineer, describing how things work without delving into why and giving examples. What if your reader has no idea how to use an IP address, Vik? All you tell him is how to change it. If you don’t describe things, don’t use them as examples, dude. Yet, the blog is worth the hassle, so read it.
           Another reason to not expect miracles is the hobby nature of my interest. Some of the newer projects talk about using equipment I can’t afford, such as two Arduinos. We still need a rational search engine. I was on-line for several hours and it is becoming ridiculous to find things. Don’t you hate it when you all your responses are from Chinese companies that want you to order 10,000? I’d write my search algorithm right now if I could find out how to do it. I can do the programming, it is the implementation I can’t find anything on. In my searches, the public would be able to rate the categories so that you could exclude what you don’t want no matter how clever the SEO programmers become.
           The code itself is in the complicated C format, full of non-English gobbledygook (example: $current_row = mysql_query("SELECT page_id FROM page WHERE page_url = "$url"");. My code would create a second linked database that allows users to vote on criteria, such as the big one: is the site really free, or does it want memberships and logons? Next would be whether it is a site of information, or a site that tries to sell you a book about information.
           Since the public would be voting, it is driven from the bottom-up, almost impossible for top-down search algorithms to manipulate. Thus, when you search for free ebooks, you would get three responses, not 70 million. That’s right, just three. You would be able to block youTube videos that have advertising at the beginning. Or avoid lyrics sites that have ringtone popups. If would force a conformity against the worst-practices mindset of the current gang of web programmers. They would have to quit the nonsense or not get visited, simple as that. Besides, all advertising should be passive anyway.
           And if you are wondering why the commercials on late night TV don’t come blasting on as loud as before, Congress passed a law against it last December. It should be making a difference about now. Oddly, certain truly dismal people were against this law. I guess they like their life insurance ads twice as loud as the program. Weird or what?
           So I turned on the TV again to listen. Yep, the commercial volume is down. That, to me, represents one of the more useful and complicated items the government should ever stick its nose into. But the real crime is those Stargate episodes where they keep discovering alien civilizations that wear togas. The female aliens can belly dance. By sheer coincidence, so can countless unemployed actresses right here on Earth.