Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

October 19, 2011


Let me see if the potato gif still works:

Hmmmm, apparently not. Let's try the 2016 version:


           It's faster and the captions are different, but okay. That, folks, is your incentive to read your favorite blogs every day. The links don't last forever. And, like, how many blogs can you name like this one that actually go back and check former posts once in a while. Who loves you?

           Another day indoors thanks to Seattle weather. It won’t let up, and neither will these couple of gorfs I tripped over on the chatlines connected to my new dating site. I got it figured out that the reason the women aren’t swamping me with replies, gifts, and introductory email is because them two guys are getting it all for themselves. Women naturally flock to aging jocks and the half-educated.
           It was fun while it lasted, I posted every half hour while watching for the sky to clear. That didn’t happen until after dark. While I’d like to say I got some study time in, I just was not in the mood. I did a little research on the cell phone blocking concept. I draw a thick line between study and research, so I must be making headway in electronics. The inventor wants something that prevents cell phone use inside a vehicle unless the transmission is in “Park”.

           I discovered that cell phones operate in a rather oddball spread of frequencies, hinting that the concept was no better thought out than technologies of a hundred years ago. Nobody wants to have to connect a cell phone, so that means either regular jamming or wireless shutoff when the phone is inside the car. The fuds (not a typo) take a dim view of anyone jamming except, of course, themselves.
           That means my client may have to seek collusion with the cell phone manufacturers. So far, I’ve considered an app (passworded on the teen’s phone by parents), and even a GPS that detects when the car is moving but that would negate usage on a city bus. Where the factory comes in would involve a tiny transmitter inside the car that blocks something built into the phone. That would also solve the problem of having to find each phone’s frequency.

           There are jammers already on the market, but the solution should be something more passive. And another thing, all of the above ideas have already been rejected as unworkable. You don’t think I’d publish my good material before it was patented, do you? Besides, don’t we all agree people on city buses have a right to be as loud and obnoxious as they please? What part of “public” don’t you understand? My personal favorites are the fat ladies “talkin’ she-itt” and scruffy-looking short men who behave like high school guidance counselors.
           Still no camera, but that’s because no suitable product exists in my price range. The selection also gets smaller, not larger, as the Xmas season looms. Keep checking, but this was never a picture blog to start with so any graphics are extras. Here’s the trivia today. The Israeli army is known as the opposite model to the American. Rather than militarize the civilians, they civilize the military. I discovered the soldiers don’t get leave assigned by officers; instead they draw lots between themselves. There’s something about a girl in uniform, tho myself, I prefer one with an extra pillow than a Uzi.

           Without taking sides to that intractable problem, I do consider the 1967 war as a case history of military prowess. The Israelis managed what most general staffs only dream of. That’s complete stunning victory against overwhelming odds, both military and political. They did have their backs to the wall and knew they had only three days (before the losing side called the UN for a ceasefire), but I confine my interest to the strategy and tactics, not the motives. They did pull it off.
           On my guitar, I’ve chorded through some of Johnny D’s favorites by Cat Stevens and such. It’s catchy but I’m not attracted to tunes with too many chord changes. It reminds me of Knopfler and Dire Straits who use rapid chord changes because they can’t seem to sustain musical interest playing a steady chord. I quit using that trick in my early teens. I’ve learned “The Boxer”, “Baby It’s a Wild World” and “Cat’s in the Cradle”.

           Who likes restored cars? There is a 1966 Mustang in the compound next to Jimbos in showroom condition. What inconsiderate lout leaves it outside? That’s one of the missing pictures, you can suppose. At any rate, I like it when the paint is the real thing from the correct era. There is quite a history to the development of auto paint, worth your time to look up. Here’s a little background on it.
           Model T’s were black because the paint was colored with India ink. Early paints faded easily, but were also easy to touch up. You could buy the paint at the local hardware store. Enamel paints began in the 1930s because they dried faster on the production line. The concept of a primer to prevent rust didn’t happen until the 70s when Japanese competition appeared. (Primers are another complicated technology.) There is a reason they used to put the gas cap behind the license plate. The paints today are lacquer based and that is what makes many restored vehicles look too slick.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++