Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, December 8, 2011

December 8, 2011


           This was one unspectacular day. Here is that photo of my freezer compartment we’ve all been waiting for. The high point of this Thursday was getting caught in the rain on the return leg from the Ft. Lauderdale Library. That place is off my list. My free parking spaces have been either found or blocked. No way am I paying $1.50 per hour to use the public book place. I even cruised around for a while trying to find a vacant meter, but the best was only 22 minutes.
           Brazenly, I asked an overly-idle parking enforcement type if there was any free parking for the library. He snickered and informed me those days were “long gone”. So I went to the Pro Bass shop. They have free parking and much better-looking (though far from attractive) employees. Not to mention an array of life-size Xmas toy vehicles that cost half as much as my scooter. I regret and bow to the logic that a bus-pass at $3.00 has now become a viable option and one of the few remaining reasons ever to go to Ft. Lauderdale.

           Here is some snowman poop. This product displays the much higher discerning power of today’s sophisticated shopper. Mmmm, and reindeer droppings as well. I’d like to say I bought something while there, but I don’t own a credit card. When I reported Americans were due to spend billions on Xmas, I didn’t mean all at Outdoor World.
           The main computer is in the shop and the electric bike is going back for warranty work. While there, it may be retro-fitted with these new balloon tires I’ve seen on cross-country bikes. If they’ll fit on the eBike, it promises a much smoother ride than offered by the cracked and pitted Florida bike paths. I took the scooter all these places today, including a windy trip around the airport perimeter road. As the carriers do another round of out-bankrupting each other, I observed some 14 Frontier jet airliners waiting on the tarmac. One company’s loss is another’s feast.

           I had the time to sketch a few dozen new circuits based on the learning from last Monday’s meeting. This time I had a definite pattern of new understanding toward the remaining basics of transistors and logic gates—but not thanks to the books. I’m saying the learning of electronics has degenerated into a despicable pattern. I get the high-priced but rotten material, study it until it becomes so frustrating that I pass by it. I am then condemned to trial and error at the next highest level, and when that agony is done, am forced to return to the earlier lessons to fill in the blanks.
           Those who’ve been through this system recognize it as apprenticeship. To keep his position, the master takes no heed of student abilities, rather feeds them tidbits so they has to keep coming back years longer than is really necessary. That whole setup favors the slow learner. Remember the carpenter who had me sweeping his floor? Told me that part of learning the job. That type of dishonesty.

           Certain lessons reminded me that I had been “taught” some electronics in grade school. Somehow a switch that turns a light on and off on the lab table was not that inspiring. Also, they did show us some of the gates and truth tables on paper. But whether these were real or theoretical, or the size of a refrigerator, nobody could say. While the school had dollars for soccer balls and baseball bats, there was no budget for a single integrated circuit.
           In the America culture department, we see that Washington state has joined others in offering on-line divorce. For $24 plus a $6 filing fee, the uncontested no-children no-property couple can serve walking papers on each other. I believe community property states should give people an easy out, but observe the bureaucratic flavor to it all. It isn’t $30, it is $24 plus $6. So don’t be getting those figures mixed up. Anyway, you log on, get a case number, fill in the basic facts and you are done.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++