Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

February 22, 2012

           Here’s a definitive Florida scene. Stay back. And there’s no hidden camera. See the gleaming chrome on the scooter, but notice the rusty-looking tailpipe. We now have over 6,300 miles on that puppy. It was budgetted to go 18,000 before replacement (the original price tag was only $681), I now wonder if it will make it. These machines are only ever “balanced” when they are fresh out of the factory.
           Another look at retirement out of the country shows I could achieve it if the USA goes for a dump. I’m partial to Central America. I believe prices will skyrocket between now and sometime in 2013 and that the so-called recovery in real estate is due to inflation (and market manipulation). I’m totally adapted to living on next to nothing (one-fifth of my former income), so much so that I’m actually thriving on it. The unmistakable signs of moving from genteel poverty to genteel luxury are already appearing around this place.
           But true retirement living is not in my stars in America. I know that. When the $10 loaf of bread arrives, we’ll all be shafted. My mission is to ensure my supply lines and take care of number one. Woman-wise, Florida has been a real disappointment for me. It has proven impossible to find something that is not messed up somehow. Most common defects in the local women? Blaming others for their lack of accomplishment, having no career, and expecting too much in return for rather ordinary sex. (Gals, doing the wild thing does not give you the right to be a skank all rest of the day.)
           I saw an excavation of one of the stone head on Rapa Nui. I could kick myself for not questioning the statues were resting on the ground. At least one had a body extending twice as far underground. Apparently soil shifts buried the torsos. I do not personally believe any of the current theories as too why these figures were built. All such theories inject too much contemporary motive and reason into how people thought a thousand years ago. Easter Island is the remotest inhabited place on Earth.
           The place on Earth with the least intelligence is the American medical system. Molina leads the pack, approving only aspirin and the rare effective medicines that cost less than $30 per month. It was a sad day I every got mixed up with those people. They refuse Plavix, as if it was extravagance. Now, they are refusing heart medicines in general to white (Anglo) patients. Note the motive. You die, they save.
           Rare it is, but I took an hour to review the news as presented by the Internet. My conclusion is that it becomes hard to believe at this late stage of affairs, anybody could be so stupid as to publish their real name and address on line. Every day, somebody murdered as a result of on-line involvement. Do they not read the stats? Does crime only happen to others? It looks like they would rather die by the dozen than learn the first lesson about talking to strangers. No, I don’t feel sorry for women who date men they meet on-line. They say one relationship in four begins on the Internet. How many of those end in tragedy?
           I admit to being more than ordinarily skeptical about the criteria woman use to select men in the first place. But that’s likely because I know most women were raised and trained to choose men with things like jobs, houses, cards, and personality. Yet when I look at what they settle for, I honestly don’t believe the taxpayer or society at large should be bailing them out. I understand most women like a tall man, but dark and handsome?
           Dekka was again closed, I met Howard at the library, and later mapped out the recording of our first hit, “Anything but Tequila”. Think of it this way: I would love to be a one-hit wonder. If history repeats itself, the cash from that single success would last me forever and I am not attracted to drugs, crazy lifestyles, or living on a tour bus. That’s not to be confused with just living on a bus, however. As long as the bus was registered in somebody else’s name. I’ve learned my lessons.
           What I did lose was my list of the Tequila substitutes. This was a lengthy compilation of all the words that could be said in place of “Tequila” during the song. Oh, well, I just go to work and make another. Opa-Locka, Coca-Cola, diarrhea, Kookamunga, Hoop-Hula.
ADDENDUM
           It looks like “The Race Is On” is not going to make it, at least not in original form. The half-timing on the guitar and repetitious bass lines tag it as a studio piece, not at all great for stage work. But that means a shift to redoing the piece with a different accompaniment, much like we do with “Help Me Make It Through The Night”.
           Normally this means rewriting the bass line. The original lyrics were a little harsh and odd-sounding. I’ve located a version that says “cry” instead of “bawl”. A lot of other musicians may state that all this work, arranging, and research is a waste of time when they can just get on the stage and play it. Yeah, well that’s just what it sound like they are doing.