Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, April 16, 2012

April 17, 2012


           This probably doesn’t look like an upscale jewelry store, but it is. Complete with full drum kit and PA system. Biking home Sunday I heard rock and roll, the late 60s stuff. It’s from this store across from Aventura. The sign says the jewelry is custom designed by the owner, who clears away the merchandise and holds weekend rock jam sessions for his friends and groupies. The only thing louder than the music was the overpowering aroma of daddy’s money.
           “Fifty Year Wound”, is more than recommended by now. It could serve as high school text, and an unusually unbiased one at that. There’s plenty of opinion that would suit the most level-headed reader, and facts that sent me looking for independent confirmation. For instance, did you know the first atomic tests were open to the public, and 40 people volunteered to be at ground zero? And that a Soviet pilot flying from Moscow landed in front of the military base commander at Vancouver, WA, in 1937?

           The book chronicles the long, slow corkscrew into the horrible government and privacy situation of today compared to 1950. This intrigues me of course, I remember when people trusted the authorities to do the right thing. And a lot of otherwise educated people still do. It states the GI Bill, not the capitalist political system, that created the American middle-class (allowing people with an annual income of around a grand to go to college and buy houses).
           There’s great passages on how things became, rather than just describing what they are like so many books today. It maps out how American lost the initiative in the 1960s by squandering billions on Vietnam and military projects, that this is where the true wealth disappeared that could have set America up as the world leader for half a millennium. I tend to agree, as it coincides with the era when politicians became unanswerable to their electorate. There have been no Kennedy’s after Kennedy.

           This was on “StuffOfAwesome” today: “Announcing that you are offended is telling the world you can’t control your own emotions and everyone else should do it for you.” I’m impressed, that’s thinking it through. Not so the parents of a six-year-old who got hand-cuffed for throwing furniture. They want the police to change their policy. To what? Parenting? I think the parents should learn how to discipline their child before letting them out of the house.
           On a lark, I went to the Whiskey Tango Karaoke tonight, which is also lady’s night. Note the correct version of “ladies”. I was back on track, meeting seven women, politely rejecting four, giving two my contact info, and one I put on hold. The big element was beginner’s luck, as the place was filled with beta males, most of them taller, richer, and younger than me. They didn’t stand a chance. I have not been to a meat market in a long time and it was fun to compete again. Fun for me, that is.

           Karaoke was disappointing, I may have to review that in less than a positive light. It was “defanged”, so the music was hard to hear and always in the background. Most of the singers were pretty bad, which prompted me to get up there. But once on stage, the volume was set low. Several of the ladies mentioned did not even realize I had been the singer until I approached them later. And guys, I have no trouble getting women, rather I have trouble getting women like the kind I want. Never confuse my quest with your inabilities.

           [Author’s note: On the topic of discipline, I was an unruly child. But without knowing why the kid above threw a tantrum, I can point out extreme differences about my “misbehavior”. I was not joking when I said my parents more than once said I “owed” them for raising me, and that I was the only one of six children who were told that. So one major difference right away is that I was thinking, not just acting up and I never threw chairs.
           Follow the logic. If my upbringing was a repayable loan, then why should I have to do chores? Get your damn mother to fill the woodbox. Are you going to pay me to look after my kid brother? If I’m not paid to babysit, I decline the job. Same with your rules unless you pay me to obey. And if I have to pay it all back, can I have the money to move to California? Logic, even from a child, makes a big, big difference, folks.]


++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++