Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, July 27, 2012

July 27, 2012

           The sidecar takes top billing again. This is over on 17th in Miami, America’s top rated Quizno’s. As you see, it was a hit with the staff. I drove over there at 65 mph, noticing the behavior of the machine in detail. I see the battery may not be charging adequately, and there is a bad spot to change over to the reserve tank. The mileage in town is bad, so keeping the scooter was wise. I’ve chewed up $43 in gas in the past two days.
           Here’s some indirect good news. I helped out with some of the supplies at the restaurant, with a chorus of people telling me to take it easy. It’s not like that, I can tell a mile away when my heart acts up. I can finally exercise past the point where other things hurt besides my ticker. Put another way, my endurance is back up past the point where I can strain muscles that got little or no use during my recovery.
           JP is plowing money into his old truck again. Batteries, tires, and he got his window smashed the other week. JP does his routine maintenance to a non-routine schedule, is a nice way to put it. Either way, I was there to spur him to get ready for the Keys next weekend. It’s the same story, you can’t get the guy enthusiastic about anything, but once you do, it’s the most wonderful time he’s had. Every trip we made to Marco Island or the Glades or anywhere, I had to drive over to his place and drag him out of the sack.
           The challenge this time is getting him to trust the sidecar. It’s in better shape than the truck, but to JP, the truck is the enemy he knows. We’ve never yet met any babes with that truck, he just needs to see the sidecar effect and he’ll be sold. I’ve already met four new women, although two were, um, not new enough. The plan is I meet up with JP after work next Friday and we head to the condo in the Keys. Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and drive back Monday morning.
           He wants to pack a suitcase. I told him bring clean shirts, his shaving kit, and three days of socks and underwear. I’ve left the country with less and he wants a suitcase to hit the Keys. These rich kids. He won’t be ready, but we’ll get there. Part of the hurdle is that he knows all the places around town to get an extra few bucks when he needs it. Like the pile of cardboard behind the loading bay.
           Alaine (shown here on the scooter) pays me to crush it flat because it is a fire hazard (shown here on site). JP sees it ready for the dumpster, loads it up, and takes it to the recycler for $35. It’s things like that I never even think of, but he won’t be ready because of those daily distractions for easy money. So, how much does Quizno’s really bring in? Well, think how much money you would need to get me to clean your back yard.
           I took the freeway at 65 mph again, though there isn’t much of a gain during rush hour. We still have those, but they don’t last as long. The Honda is idling too fast, I’m trying to find the idle stop screw. My first bike was a Honda 90 and I could actually adjust a few things on that. The idle is 950 rpm, anything slower and it will stall unless you release the clutch exactly right. Exactly isn’t a good thing for these older Honda motors. I’ll get it right. After all, I’ve already driven a sidecar 400 miles more than most people around here.

ADDENDUM
           I’m studying relay circuits. The theory is easy, a voltage either opens or closes a relay, depending on what type of relay. There are two types, NC for normally closed and NO for normally open. This describes the state of the relay when you take it out of the box. What’s got me doing brainwork is the potential for these relays to operate logic circuits. I’m chasing that information for the next while.
           It must be possible to build memory and adder circuits using relays. I figured this out, and like much of electronics, right after that I discovered all kinds of publications about the topic. The old electronics runaround again, where you can’t find any information until you already have the information.
           Yet I’m drawn toward the knowledge of coupling together a memory circuit and and adder circuit. Don’t ask me why, it’s probably just the challenge.