Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, August 2, 2012

August 2, 2012


           It takes a week to order Honda parts. America or not, nobody stocks the air filter for a GL1000, as shown here. This country has gone downhill. I have to compromise as follows. If I order it now, I must delay leaving a day. Is that delay worth the $36.00? Instead, I’m buying a jerrycan and running the Honda dry to see what mileage I really get on the freeway. If it is above 30 mpg, I’m leaving on the 8th (approx.).
           Beyond that, I’m packing and not sure what to take. This trip will be three times the distance I’ve ever driven before on a motorcycle in one shot. But then, I never had so big and comfortable a motorcycle, either. I’m tempted to dismantle the eBike and take that along. The payload of the sidecar is phenomenal, but if it breaks down, I don’t want to be stranded with a load of valuables to left overnight at roadside.

           It turns out there are three motorcycle repair shops nearby, all near the Coca-Cola plant on Pembroke. The problems with the Goldwing are down to two. The rear brake may be leaking fluid and the engine tends to race after it warms up, probably what’s causing my poor gas mileage. Another place specializes in Chinese scooters. Mine is now showing signs of age but it has saved me so many times, I may get it attended. I suspect the fuel pump may be acting up. Also on the shopping list is one of those battery booster packs. Not a charger, but one of those heavy sealed units with battery clamps.
           Later same day. The developments are fascinating for the budget conscious. Assuming that is all of us, I’ll supply the facts. First, I located a source of the Honda air filters at $11.99 and put three on order. Next, the mechanic above gave the Goldwing a good going-over and I’m satisfied it will remain a bargain even after I plow $500 back into it. The brake master thingee needs a rebuild, I have the kit on my desk already. And the bad mileage works out to one cylinder not firing until the engine gets hot.

           Being that the new mechanic picked up on the correct problem instantly, I’ll go for the carburetor rebuild at $380. Y’day’s post reveals this is close to the estimated $341.05 in extra gasoline one-way, so I am more than glad to spend the money. For emphasis, that’s just the extra gas just one-way. It is understood that Sarasota knew about these problems but I suspected as much and since those appear to be the only problems, the cycle still comes in below budget even after said repairs. With the carbs fixed, the gas to Colorado drops to a total of $204.63 at an estimated $3.80 per gallon.
           Here is a nice extra photo of the sidecar out on Pembroke. What? Oh, that old car? You mean that 1981 Nissan? That’s what my new mechanic drives. It’s two years newer than my Goldwing, shown here with the battery cover removed. It’s hard to believe both vehicles were designed in Japan.

           What’s harder to believe is I’ve misplaced my laptop. It’s here somewhere, but what gives? I stopped taking it to bingo in February and I need it for the trip. It’s in a black carrying case. I’ll tell you when it turns up. But what are the odds of me losing a computer? I’m hoping I left it at the club in a suitcase. Weird, huh? Clubs being mentioned, I won a t-shirt and a video last evening for singing two songs. And that place doesn’t give consolation prizes.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++