Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, August 20, 2012

August 20, 2012


           What I’m about to say has roots thirty years ago. Back then I ran a Laundromat for a hobby, made a hundred a week extra in quarters. Got addicted to pinball machines (that’s a figure of speech “addicted”), and the local bachelors used to fill the tubs and then walk across a fairly busy and dangerous road to go have a beer. Well, I filed for a license to sell beer at my Laundromat, and was basically told that was the craziest thing they’d ever heard. Here is today’s photo of Movie Tavern.
           This place represents my “crazy” concept taken up years later and somebody is making millions off it. I tell you, it is hell being born poor. I know we all have youthful ideas, but I point this out as an example of how realistically I was thinking. It was lack of money that held me back from tackling the hurdles, the needless, senseless hurdles of the small-minded.

           Yes, I thought of a licensed movie theater too, it’s just that I happened to own a Laundromat at the time, several years before “Suds & Duds” in case anyone brings that up. For all I know, that outfit may have stole my idea. This place has an all you can eat pancake breakfast, a full menu with reasonable prices, and it’s got a full bar. I have not gone there yet to see if meals and drink are allowed in the actual theater sections, but I’ll find out. All movies before 5:00 PM are just five bucks. “Movies Never Tasted So Good”. Or so bitter.
           Here is the scene from the hill I drive down for morning coffee. If you are expecting big news, too bad. I’m trying to find live country music venues. Everyone here says they are big, but don’t actually know how to get to one. I have not yet connected, though I’ve heard Toby Keith has opened a fancy place in town. Until something churns up, I’m like doing the laundry, writing postcards, and driving around. That last item is not too bad when you have a one of a kind vehicle.

           Two clubs were advised, the Dirty Duck and the Stampede. I drove 17 miles to the Duck to discover they closed at 7:00 PM. What kind of country bar is that? And the Stampede lists only their address, not the colossal headache of getting there. You can only approach the place by driving around the northeast or northwest quadrant of a street called Iliff (looks like a misspelling of Cliff) and find the dead end. Talk about third world, the streets were a la mode Mexico City. Major block-long stretches where I had to stand on the footpegs and ride my precious sidecar like a jackhammer.
           A half day of motorcycle maintenance. Mostly those items that appeared during the trip that were not apparent before. Colorado is no easier than Florida for trying to located parts. There has been an upsurge of web pages that respond to all searches as if they were a local business with a store in town, when in fact they are COD outfits. And I was the first to give the wise advice to always shop anonymously no matter what you are buying, if you have the option. These new and phony web pages make it particularly difficult to find real businesses in the area where you can walk in and pay cash.

           One thing led to another and I sunk $60 into the Honda. For instance, when I replaced the popped brake light (the Honda has two bulbs), the new bulb was so much brighter I had to replace the good one as well. And I purchased five each of every fuse, that was fifteen bucks right there. They now come in spar paks, so I have a ten year supply. And no outlet has everything (like they used to) so I found I still have to run from store to store like it was in 1930. I tried phoning but many types here are seriously into the car dealership “give us your name and number and we’ll call you back” runaround. Like we don't know about privacy policies and telemarketing databases.
           The final topic today is unfinished, but in a rare action, I'll try to return and update the entry. I finally gave up trying to locate a set of new tires and tubes for Marion's wheelchair, the small 8" wheels at the front. I called every place in or near Denver that advertises that they repair wheelchairs or stock wheelchair parts. They lied, every one of them, so my intention is to supply the list of who I called.

           While two of the firms were friendly and helpful they still did not have what their ads claimed, and the majority are beneath contempt. I won't specify which places, but all of the following did NOT have the advertised parts, did not have an outlet in Denver, or don't answer their phones, tried the call-back scam, advertised not in service phone numbers, or did business under multiple business names. (Like I'm not going to remember a voice on the phone.)
           Do not bother doing business with the following:

                Rocky Mountain Medical (by far the worst scumbags in the business)
                Sunrise Medical
                ATG
                Sunrise Mobility
                Peak Wheelchairs
                Byram Healthcare
                Apria Healthcare
                Major Medical
                Youcan Toocan (most helpful)
                Medical Depo
                Pathways
                Mile High Wheelchair
                AAA Medical
                United Seating
                Accessible Systems
                Integrated Medical
                Physicians Choice
                Aspen Medical
                ALCO
                Assisted Living

           I actually called more places, but these are the ones that faked me out with their advertising. I am now reduced to calling bicycle shops that stock odd size tires. Something should be done about false advertising on the Internet. I could see how a bankrupt business has no choice but to leave their phone number in the yellow pages, but not when they leave up a website.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++