Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, August 27, 2012

August 27, 2012


         Today's an anniversary, read below. If I didn’t mention, on the trip here, I had to utilize the reserve gasoline (of about one gallon) on seven different occasions. That is an empirical tradeoff to the number of convenient gas stations and the smaller motorcycle range (180 miles). Here is a rare shot of heavyset me strolling past the Chiltons. Hey, not near as heavy as two years ago, when I was surrounded and under siege. I’ve found a trailer hitch shop that does metal work up on Quebec and Iliff. I want a cup holder attached to the sidecar. I had to pull over too many times for liquids crossing the central plains.
         Let’s talk money a bit. I’m saying the remainder of the month may not be as adventuresome, since unlike the highly educated leaders in Washington, I have to make up the 23% budget shortfall by the 31st. I never carry anything over because that’s plain stupid behavior. Fiscal responsibility lets me occasionally take the trip of a lifetime instead of, well, let’s not mention Wallace and Patsie at this juncture. They are so busy fighting for their principles that they have no time to live up to them.

         I’ve done some in-depth research into the sidecar. We are still trying to find something convenient to call it, but Uralhonda and such are awkward. (I'd prefer to call it the BatBike.) For now, it is the Hondural, enough Spanish-sounding to placate anyone at the convention in Florida. The one I hope the hurricane sneaks back and does an Andrew on the lot of them. Generally, I tried to find the items I can do myself to prolong the life of the motorcycle. The electrical system seems to consist of 28 wires, this sort of thing.
         Alaine called early this morning. My correspondence is arriving [back in Florida] and there are many people who know how long my planning for this trip goes back. So these postcards are their first indication that the real thing is underway. Since I was at the library, you trivia for today is that if all the available good wind sites in the entire world were used to generate electricity, it would supply only 3% of the daily American demand. That is not necessarily a bad thing.
         Here is a river valley a few blocks west of here, with a trail that according to Marion one can walk all the way to Denver. Why, if I was my mental age. To the copyright violators out there, keep in mind just because these photos are not watermarked, most or all of them contain something that only I can identify. But if it makes you feel any better, the big corporations that shut down Napster and Limewire for stealing music turned right around and “co-opted” the same distribution software for their own usage. If you are big business, co-opting is not the same as stealing, God bless ‘em.

         I’ve decided to read a deeper book on nanotechnology, since that topic seems to have disappeared from the news over the past six months. I was expecting a breakthrough by now, and let me explain why. This was not some random prediction, but those familiar with Moore’s law (that the number of transistors on a chip doubles every 18 months) means that these devices should have been down to nano size by around 18 months ago. Quite a coincidence, don’t you think? Why has nothing much happened in that time?
         My new book may have the answer. What Moore did not consider is the cost of tooling up. As the size goes down, the cost of the factory to produce the chips goes up, and the cost of a single factory is now in the billions. That’s enough to make anyone think twice if the equipment is obsolete in a year and a half. The significance of nano size is that is the realm where Newtonian physics begins to fail and quantum physics takes over. There is no easy way to visualize or understand quantum theory, but I know that if was to invest in nano anything, I’d want [the plant & equipment] to last more than a year and a half.

         I’ve been reading more Ann Coulter, as well. We’d get along well, though she moves in entirely different circles that I do. Or you could just say she knows lots of politicians, same thing. She tends to point out their past mistakes, which cannot be changed. I am more likely to point out their personal defects, which it is theoretically possible to modify. Although her writing lacks even a primordial shred of the hard sciences, not a hint of logical or mechanical abilities, and no evidence of practical cerebral activity, I’d still like to meet her. Then again, I’ve always liked, if they were sexy enough, bitchy women. The five I dated in Florida missed the sexy part.
         In what is acceptable vindication for me, I found the last two Honda key blanks without any Internet bull crap or becomeing a member. The Ace hardware on Iliff and Buckley had ‘em, and they cost eight bucks, a savings of around $30 over factory Honda pricing. This was a real success, as the keys are a rare left-handed size. I also looked at the chip keys, the ones that need the code to start your car. They are $70 each at Ace, twice that at the dealership. I’ve never considered such expensive technology to be an improvement.
         So, here I am, the Honda back in shape after another round of upgrades, and poised for a day trip through the mountains before month’s end. According to my detractors, this can’t be happening, see, because I don’t think like they do. If I did, why I’d pay them $1200 a month rent for a room in a trailer in a town where I could get a mortgage for half that, and I’d also pay their bills so they could quit their job at Pizza Hut and watch soap operas all day long, except when gossiping on the phone. If I want any adventure in this life, I better clean up my act, they said. Oops, too late. August 27, 2010, is the day I fired the last two peasants (pissants) out of my life.
         Bwaaaaa-ha-ha!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++