Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

August 30, 2012


           This is what you get by taking a new route for morning coffee every other day. Here is the most fantastic train set I’ve ever seen. It spans the entire back yard of a retired electric employee along the river walk. This is outdoors, folks, and you can see the early sunshine. The entire scene includes tunnels, a safari setting, and is controlled from inside a backyard gazebo. Originally vines blocked the view, but one year after trimming, the neighbors banded together and convinced him to leave the yard in view.
           The creator is working on a roundhouse, as the trains are steam models. They were not running today so I’m not sure. He estimates the project spans some 17 years in his spare time. A roundhouse is the name of the repair sheds for steam locomotives, which entirely by coincidence I was reading up on a week or so back. I’ll keep an eye out, as he posts the train schedule in advance.

           I followed the river walk by eBike several miles south (to Quince) for a twelve mile ride this morning. This is possible by nursing the battery along in third gear (of seven) ever so gently up the rises. Every person I passed on the path said, “Good morning.” Sadly, when that phrase is translated into Floridian, it can only be spoken by magazine subscription salespeople, conspicuously overdressed in the tropical sun and suffering from perma-grin. The kind I like to tell, “Don’t under-think the situation.”
           The afternoon I spent gathering parts for my blinker signal, and noting the headlight on the motorcycle is installed badly. The original bolted to the handlebars, but this one is in the faring, and seems to be upside down. Then I parked in the shade and traced out all the wiring back to the harness. So now I know how each wire gets there, no mean feat on that apparatus. It took only moments to spot the Radio Shacks out here have the same inventory problems in the component drawers. Tons of junk, but the parts you want are sold out and never reordered.

           Thank goodness I showed up for open mic at Sheabeen’s or I’d be in a real sour mood. By now, I’ve “rehearsed” (on stage) with the band and the sound balance was superb. Having all professionals helps immensely. Alas, it was good news bad news. The guy that offered the job called in sick. Bronchitis is making the Colorado rounds. Two guys on stage had it. I’ve played less than a total of two hours, including tonight, so imagine my thoughts when people walked in and implored me to play. Since they were not present last week, it must be the result of what they call reputation.
           Once again, the best songs were the ones I knew and the worst were obscure, possibly “originals” with even obscurer chords and chord patterns. Even my comping, which I cannot do, brought compliments from unexpected sources, like the bartender (who said he’s hired this show for eight years, so he’s seen most of it if not it all.) In the big picture, I’m damn satisfied with how it went, including the four numbers I sang. Me, fronting a band in Colorado, if only for a few songs. Who’d a thunk it even six months ago? Certainly not a number of people whose names I won’t state here.

           I found a set of Jenga blocks, the ones Jimbo’s uses for free drinks. I know it is some kind of game, but that’s all. I see them as model aids, motorcycle repair jigs, and holders for small electronics projects. Here is how I arranged them on the downstairs table. Please forgive any inaccuracies, I have never done this before and the arrangement is entirely from memory.

           Last, I have plenty to think about and practice. Some of the music I know, but it has been years since I ran through it (“Lovin’ Her Was Easier” and “Smoke, Smoke, Smoke”). But tonight was the second time in a row I delivered the wow, so that rules out coincidence. At least this will be no rush decision because I’ve got weeks to make up my mind. Driving home at 1:15 AM, I had to cross a river valley and that reminded me of what cold is like.
           Mr. Frost says this is a winter town, that the pubs are packing in the winter. That doesn’t make sense, as we are miles from the ski resorts and who would visit here except in the summertime? I think I’m about to find out the answer. I brought only the barest equipment, that is, bass, tuner, and cable. This mini-computer isn’t helping either, especially MicroSoft who never did understand the “now” part of “end now”. And I also found out that Colorado banks will not hypothecate pensions. That means for accommodation, I can buy only what I can afford cash, which also means nothing until next year.

ADDENDUM
           I read the business section of the local paper today. I really don’t think the current depression has punched the wind out of Colorado yet. I know that like smallpox, it takes a while for the eastern dry rot to reach the other end of the country and I don’t think the impact has really been felt yet out this far.
           However, I would like to make it clear on this issue that I am not on anybody’s side but my own. To my eyes, the trouble out there is the entire middle-class and the debt they plunged into. It is one instance I believe their elected politicians really did represent them—in greed, self-delusion, and ducking personal responsibility. Why? Because the collapse of traditional America was brought about by debt, and can be traced in every meaningful instance to stupid debt.

           And no, they cannot avoid the blame by pointing fingers. They, or their agents, borrowed the money. It was not the poor, they can’t borrow. It was not the rich, they needn’t borrow. It was you middle-class big shots all the way, and now it is payback time. Let’s look at the option you don’t want to see.
           Traditional media says there are three ways out, I say there are four. In a moment we’ll talk likelihood, but first a review. To pay the debts, Washington could borrow money, but they can’t borrow much more. They could raise taxes, but what did I just say about personal responsibility. Would any middle-class readers out there vote for higher taxes? Or the Fed could print more worthless money, which they can do thanks to middle-class complacency.

           But I say there is a fourth option, and one that will happen fast. The entire middle-class will be brought down to the level of their true worth. Inflation will help along, though even the inflated dollars they will try to borrow to preserve their “lifestyle” will be harder to come by. Don’t look at me; I have always lived within my means. I never had a $600 lawn mower, but what the hell? As soon as they get hungry, I can have theirs for five cents on the dollar.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++