Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, August 4, 2012

August 4, 2012

           I’m still iffy on taking my electric bike. There are no standard models of these in the USA, so it’s not like I could buy one over there. A quick scan of Craigslist shows the same problem I had when I shopped for my existing bike. There is a lot of incredibly high-priced junk out there. I mean, I’ve got a perfectly adequate unit I bought a year ago that works fine and cost $400. How do others justify spending $3,000?
           This photo is not the travel configuration, but just a test to see how easy it would be to transport the eBike. This is not collapsed, where I would remove the seat, front wheel and turn the handlebars sideways. I have a cover tarp, so this may just work out right. The range on the eBike battery is still nearly ten miles, a wonderful insurance policy on the route I’m taking.
           I’m purchasing the booster, the carburetor work is scheduled for Monday morning, and I found the laptop computer. It was in the side pocket of the Ibanez guitar case, which I hardly ever use. There’s also several people who would like me to leave the eBike in their care, but I ain’t doin’ that.
           Next, I stopped by the shoe shop, where Boris confirmed all the Cyrillic writing on the Soviet parts of the sidecar. Including the “Made in Russia” stamping on the tire pump. The way things worked out, I won’t have time buy lunch as planned until well after I get back.
           It surprises me, but my Lexulous partner is still playing, and getting remarkable scores later in the game. She is an expert on small words and tight groupings, taking her time and making very careful moves. On the other hand, I think mostly outside the box, often having several blocking moves at the ready. I track the remaining tiles (on a spreadsheet which I designed shown partially here) and even know that the 89 tiles will cover 39.5% of the board. To any critics, this is not cheating and most winning players already do a less refined form of this calculation in their heads.
           This game squeezed the play to one side, leaving few options. Ordinary words account for the big wins. I follow Clausewitz, that strategy only works once you have mastered tactics. I win by an average of 58 points, my best was 109 points. We play less than three games per month. I average 28 points per move, so no catnapping or you lose.
           My interest in witnessing a space launch is restoked by the Mars lander. I balked at the rip-off increased prices for accommodation, but if St. Augustine last year is any indication of the drop off in tourist rates, I’ll find out. I’d like a run-of-the-mill comsat or similar, nothing legendary. And the complex is but 187 miles from here, closer than St. Augustine.
           What’s this? Beiber’s producers announcing his latest album went platinum well before he reached 680,000 sales. Not that they would ever do such a thing.

ADDENDUM
           Perfect credit? I found that I have a credit rating (of 815). This should be impossible, since I’ve never borrowed money or owned a credit card. It was with trepidation I read my Experian listing. These people should not even know I am alive, but there it was—a record of all my assets. Well, I should not say all. Only those that are harvested from “public records”. My scooter tags from the DMV, my property title from the land registry, the existence of my bank account, but still, they should have no interest in me. And yes, a complete list of any phones I ever had in my own name. (This is why I’d often order a phone in some state I’m just passing through, then cancel it. This does not work any more, but it used to.)
           What was even nicer was what they did not have. The two items that prevent me from having a perfect score are that I have no “length of credit history” and they apparently have no idea what ratio of my income is spent on debt. It is zero, but they have real difficulty with that. The remaining 7 pages of categories were blank. Allow me to help them: Car payment $0.00. Mortgage payment $0.00. Student loan $0.00. Etc. $0.00. Oh yeah, amount I will need to borrow to go to Colorado and back $0.00.
           Is anything out off kilter? Yes, they have a fanatical interest in whether I own a car. If fact, it was repeated inquiries since May from this (then unknown) source that got me to look into it. It is a pure mystery to me why any stranger would so need to know if I own a car. My guess? It must be some kind of flag in their weird system meant to snare the unwary, like maybe look at anybody who has not made a car payment is six months, type of thing. My objection remains the same, I have never given any of these people any permission or cause to look at my personal files, and therefore they should not have any right to do so without my knowledge.