Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, November 15, 1984

November 14, 1984


           Day 37. It was mostly mopping up today. The big exit goes around 10:30 a.m. tomorrow. We all got together at 4 p.m., closed up the shop and went down to the beach for a game of football. What fun. No rules, in or out of the water. I got some excellent photos and even scored a few. But I finally cracked up an ankle. The Germans invested in a big box of beer earlier so come sundown they it (sic) was ice cold of Mamasan’s. I am so exhausted I scheduled a video movie. Now that's tired. After, I sat down, my other injuries gradually made themselves known.

           [Author's note: Mamasan and her husband needed a few thousand dollars to keep the submarine project going until he could return from Germany. It asked me if I could possibly invest in the project, in the end I did not invest simply because of the difficulty of traveling halfway around the world. However some of the terms and conditions discussed as follows show my thinking at the time.]

           I talked to deal with Mamasan. Under four conditions besides getting my investment back, I may be able to help them.
           1. I receive an English copy of the blueprints and specifications, and a prospectus.
           2. I am to be kept informed of the progress and problems, and upon completion, I own the conning tower.
           3. I had to be present at the launch.
           4. They are to accommodate me in Patong until I learned to operate the craft.
They have 12 weeks to reply.

           My bones are aching but it is a pleasant last evening. The sign on the boat is having the desired effect. And I found it with a squeal in the forest wives. Crickets. Fooled me. I took a quick look around and crashed early. No sentiment but I'll be back here someday. It may be a long time though. I'm going to miss it, going back to the great American wasteland.