Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, December 23, 2012

December 23, 2012

           It was one of those days and a long one for sure. The repair was to take a half-hour, instead we were at it from sun-up to sun-down. My computer skills traded off to mechanic work. Eight hours later, it was even Steven. His RAM was bad (extremely difficult to diagnose) and he had to remove the entire rear wheel and drive train to replace that single bolt. And he gets basically a new computer. Sometimes people don’t perceive computer repairs to be as valuable as auto repairs in the same time period.
           Difficult to see, but shown here is Miguel drilling out the old bolt which broke inside the casing. Sorry about the bright light as we worked through dusk and into the night. This time we were prepared and I drove his scooter to Home Depot for each required part.
           Most chassis fastenings are now replaced by American manufacture case-hardened steel bolts and double locknuts. At three bucks apiece. This time they might bend, but will not break. Cause of damage? The terrible condition of Florida roadways. Without exaggeration, I have never seen a state or county road in Florida without major potholes.
           Morning was at the bakery, which amounts to Plan A for me most mornings. They are consistently selling out by early afternoon nowadays. I told the universe this was good bread. Quality makes me happy, and it would seem the same to the customers lining up three deep at the counter. That was the end of the good morning since about then I drove the scooter over to Miguel’s (see above) and that was it for the day. Still, anything was better than each of us shelling out $200 for somebody else to do the same work.
           The design of these Chinese scooters is somewhat bemusing. They pare away metal parts to save money but this weakens the overall structure. Eventually instead of the components being bolted to a sturdy frame, they wind up lightly welded to each other. Now, if you could see it, I need a new muffler, new head bolts, new gasket and because the motor mount wasn’t true, new brake shoes. Yet this cheap-ass scooter has proven its worth and more [when used] in combination with the sidecar parked in my back yard. I should charge tourists admission when they stop and look.
           Trivia. Did you know that the same building materials were used between 2000 B.C. and 1850 A.D? Until experimentation began with aluminum and polymers (celluloid they called it), not one new discovery or invention for building purposes occurred during those 3,850 years. And most of what they used, like stone, ceramics, wood, and wool required difficult, time-consuming, or skilled human labor to make into anything useful. And here I am questioning whether I should buy a 3D printer. I know damn well I should.
           Later, I stopped at Karaoke and bumped into the staff of the former Friendly Inn. That place under the water tower across from Gulfstream five years ago. The one gal recalled me as the guy with the “totally annoying blog”. I replied that would be me. I can understand why some people find my observations less than flattering. But at the same time, I can back up anything I say, so it is not like I’m generating baseless lies. That’s Fox News, not me.
           This only provides me with proof that my blog is being read. I energetically maintain very few people who meet me could possibly confuse me with the next guy. Clues that I am not like the others:
           1. Carries a textbook.
           2. Does crossword in ink.
           3. Wears camera on a lanyard.
           4. Stands on the business side of a microphone.
           5. Buys houses and cars with cash.

It doesn’t take Albert Frankenstein to figure out something is different here. When in such a situation (I don’t mean only around me) one must be careful to make every decision as if the whole world was watching. Good decisions are how we improve quality, beat up on religion, and attain good reputations.
           Will I change anything? Nope. Too many readers tell me they enjoy this blog for the information, the idea generation, and the different perspectives. If you enjoy looking at everything the same as Joe Average from Podunk, ditch this blog and find yourself a copy of the New York Times or watch CNN. I understand peer pressure and the need for some individuals to be just one of the thundering herd. It provides a sense of security to be just another among millions upon millions.
           Hey, it almost worked for the buffalo.