Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

December 25, 2012

           Xmas brunch on Hollywood Beach. Here is the turkey wrap at the bistro on Lee Street. You know the difference between a bistro and a restaurant? About fifty cents on the dollar. Estelle still isn’t used to celebrity status but not me, no sir. Everybody loves to see an Alpha couple and on the beach Xmas day, well there you go. She remains shy when strangers wave and talk to us, but she’ll get used to it.
           The portions can be large, so do what we did, order one dish at a time and share. The food tasted hand-made, an increasingly difficult find in Florida, so I can recommend this place without trying everything. It was a lucky choice on a fantastically beautiful day, considering we had originally were looking to find a coffee shop open for the holiday.
           Estelle being more of a beach person than me headed straight for the ocean. Folks, with my background in music, the beach is like going in to the office on my day off. At least I went to the water’s edge, see photo. But I kept my shoes on. I believe her when she said the water was cold. That’s the open Atlantic, you know, veryatlantic. And the warmer gulf stream is well over that horizon.
           Next we stopped at the club for some drinks and listened to real country music. She’s never heard it “up front” before and was taken by the emotion, particularly Johnny Cash. She played some Hungarian music by Alexandra Stan (" Mr. Saxobeat", which instantly became "Mr. Sexybeat" in my vocabulary). If you watched the link, you’ll know what I meant on Xmas eve about young, but not youthful.
           Mr. Saxobeat reminds me of disco music, which I mildly dislike, and it is hopeless trying to get me to identify with sunken-eyed hookers or the cops who arrest them. It is just not the world I live in. I do not personally know any prostitutes, drug addicts, or alcoholics. Estelle got the music from her kids listening to these tunes and was miffed [at them] when I pointed out to her that the lyrics were totally concerned with illicit sex and drugs, why those little rotters.
           I’m not singling out disco listeners, we had the same thing in my generation. Lots of people love music without a clue about the song's meaning. (Songs about sluts: Walk on the Wild Side, 867-5309, House of the Rising Sun, Maggie Mae, Roxanne, Hot Child in the City, Honky Tonk Woman, Killer Queen, La Grange, The Boxer, Call Me, and Island Girl, to name but a few.) That’s also your trivia for today.
           I suppose it is nothing but many of California websites have disappeared in the past two months. Links to trade shows, science fairs, suppliers, the kinds of places I like to visit for ideas are returning empty, even the old reliable University of Southern California. Possibly, like Colorado, they are slowly waking up to the fact there is a depression going on?


ADDENDUM
           As an aside [to a few comments received] about consumption, I can only say I know exactly how you feel—because I was once like you before I got off my ass. You are facing, at most, maybe half the deprivations I grew up with. It is wrong to say any Xmas party wastes food if it brings a family together. I think anyone who begrudges this is motivated by pure envy. And I love to behold as the envious fester and stew in their own juice. It keeps their memories sharp.
           I know that there are hungry people in America. But I also know that the majority of those “hungry people” do not embrace my standards or moral codes. No way you can write that off to pure coincidence. Nobody denies them the right to live and think as they please but maybe they could maybe develop a little self-awareness concerning their own destructive behavior, wouldn’t you think?

           I personally attest that back when I held the beliefs of the hungry, I was hungry myself.

           So to the malcontents of America, ease up on the drama. You will remain poor as long as you oppose the values needed for accomplishment and success. It is work to think straight, but a lot of that work is learning to reject the lazy points of viewpoints of the masses.
           I’ve been on both sides of the money fence so no need to hand me trite arguments. I will never agree that society should feed a class of people who waste 250 billion hours a year watching television.