Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, December 29, 2012

December 29, 2012

           “Fat, Broke & Lonely No More!” Yep, you know what I thought when I picked up this book. I sometimes browse these things to know where to avoid hanging out. Instead, after spot reading a few pages (I was just leaving the library), I think I may read this. By Victoria Moran, and I was struck by her lucid writing style. Why, it rivals my own. She asks what you would be doing right this moment if you were not too old, too broke, too fat, etc. I like her already.
           She has three strong words for people who wallow in self-pity: Get over yourself. Where Lewis Grizzard would use humor, Moran tells the reader direct that lonely isn’t funny at all. I glanced at maybe five pages and saw something worthwhile each time. She says if you fight, fight fair. She says take care of yourself so somebody else doesn’t have to. Vickie, are you doing anything this weekend?
           Last bingo of the year and what may be the end of an era. We’ve seen the situation before (the computer shop back in mid-2009) where the clientele slowly dwindles yet the landlord hits the place with a rent increase. The business cannot survive if I am the only one making money since I only make enough for myself, type of thing. Having said that, I’m off the bakery for brunch.
           At during that time, I’ll make some contingency plans. I’m ready to run my own Karaoke show if it comes to that, but I shy away from the expense of converting my existing system. Trent has been supplying TAXI listings that I don’t when I navigate the site. Could be he’s looking there every day. Why? Because the example listings he sends have very short deadlines. When I see that, maybe I’m skipping the rest of the listing. (I cannot produce something that quickly—or can I?)
           Whoever said getting old is when there is nothing left to learn the hard way should try electronics. With the possible exception of computers, I’ve never seen anything simpler that was taught in a more difficult way. Today I tried to find out about GPS. That field is another full of magnificent idiots. I want to know how to buy, install, and use one, not which the frequency it uses.
           Dang again, I missed the exact motorcycle camper I wanted, the Slipstream Mini, on eBay. It sold for $785 and that will never happen again. They retail for $2,795 and like most searches for “used”, you get those irksome sites where “new and used” is synonymous with “bait and switch”. There were abnormally large numbers of sites offering to buy used units. Do they know something we don’t?
           The Hollywood Performing Arts Center is no longer on my watch list. I confess to never having gone to the nearest theater to where I live. I’ll let you decide why by giving you their list of recent offerings: “Black Belt Spectacular”, “Special Needs Toy Drive”, “Hispaniolove”. While I like live plays, they have then so rarely and in limited runs that I’m deleting my alert link. (They also tend to have the few good plays on Saturday evenings when I’m busy myself. At least for now.)
           Gobekli Tepe. No link, you’re on your own. I reviewed six documentaries on the site and spent a half-hour thinking what it could be. Others say religion, aliens, and even crazier ideas abound because the structures are 7,000 years older than Mesopotamia, the birthplace of civilization. Those theories make no sense to me, but my spider sense says the answer lies in figuring out why the inhabitants deliberately buried the place in stages.
           Forget about there being no tombs or tools, anybody who moves gargantuan stones could clean up after themselves. The carvings show no unknown animals and the climate was different. I have no explanation but there is something distantly familiar in my mind about burying buildings. Something I’ve seen before but can’t pin down.
           Here’s an aside to Dugus12345. Unlike him, you can probably figure out what is really going on. Duggie--you don’t mind if I call you “Duggie”? Well, too bad. Listen Duggie, you write like some middle-aged pot-bellied househusband who had a receding hairline since the 6th grade. Epinion is for reviewing products, not for reviewing me. If you scroll down that site, you can read the stats. veryatlantic: 185 Duggie: 1. Psst, it isn’t a personalized license plate just because your daddy made it in prison.

THIS IS TEMPORARY. A GIFT FOR READING ME TODAY.