Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, December 7, 2012

December 7, 2012

           I like my Fridays off by which I means mostly that I don’t make any plans for that day. After lingering over morning coffee until noon, I’m going to glue pieces of cardboard together. From pizza cartons. I’ll let you figure out why. In fact, wait a minute. Okay, I’m back and here is a picture. What? That? Doesn’t everybody have a spare purple keyboard for when the other one is at the cleaners?
           The new novel, “People of Darkness” is suspenseful and I’m impressed by the author’s knowledge of “cop-think”. That’s the highly over-rated skill police like to imagine they have, but except for fiction, is only good for framing suspects and invading privacy. But this author is a guru at portraying it. The hero asks all the right questions and has not only a photographic memory, but every memory is correctly filed and available for instant recall at precisely the appropriate moment.
           Our boy can drive down a country lane and recall conversations word for word, developing the deepest strain of motives and meanings. The suspect said “these rocks” instead of “those rocks” ergo the rocks must be buried nearby. Good thing he keeps a shovel handy. Sherlock’s got nothing on this guy. England needs him now. How else will they explain this one?
           Speaking of sleuthing, what do I see driving past the gas station this morning but my old stolen motorcycle? Okay, I’m only 50.5% sure but in cop-think, that’s tantamount to a confession. I had drilled holes to mount a camera just before the theft which made the steering column unique. If I see him again, I’ll look closer. Despite what the Liberals would have us believe, he looked like the type that would steal your car. Said column was missing a small hatch cover I removed and is very hard to replace.
           I may have a lead on suspects for copying not my blog, but lifting ideas from my blog. (If you are doing so, please quote the source.) For a while now, I’ve wondered why on certain days, up to 11% of my 4:30 AM traffic is from the Indian sub-continent. Like would happen to somebody meeting a deadline. When an article appeared today on MSN concerning private islands, a topic mentioned here 20 days ago, that was too much. I began researching who contributed the articles. No duplicates, but what do you make of a names like “Rajeshni”? Hmmmm.
           Who remembers Hayley Mills, the Brit child star? You may recall her as “Pollyanna”. At 20 she married a 53 year old man. That’s included here to shock the small-minded who got here by accident. I believe people should date any age they want and be above criticism. (No not anybody, but any age.) Why did I bring this up now? Well, I was in love with Hayley Mills when she was in “In Search of the Castaways”. And now I am not in love with her because she is 66 and lives with a Hindu. Not the ones stealing my ideas, but close enough. She never repeated her childhood success and has taken to floggin cookbooks. Whatever rocks your boat, Hayley. And you wonder why men prefer younger women. (More controversy.)
           Here’s the daily dose of trivia. Brandy is not hard liquor, but distilled wine. Don’t try it at home. It is probably illegal and the makers know plenty they won’t tell. Heating anything with alcohol in it is also plain dangerous. Seismometers that use a pendulum fail if the earthquake has the same period as the pendulum (normally between 1/100th of a second and 3,000 seconds). To build large structures in space, it is 99 times more economical to mine heavy metals like nickel and iron from asteroids than to lift them into space with rockets. And the most common sextant still in use is the marine “micrometer” version.
           I took a closer look at those photos from a wind tunnel, the ones that show the wave patterns of air around objects. This is called a Schlieren photo and it is one complicated undertaking. It involves concave mirrors, parallel light rays, and a knife edge. Wiki tries to explain this without using a diagram. Are they nuts?
           Next, my ongoing study of logic gates. As I get to the intermediate level, I detect and increasing dissatisfaction with certain transistors and I feel the same. The PNP (positive-negative-positive) transistors is generally useless and probably a geek idea. Lots of circuits now use it for two likely reasons. It is there and there are an awful lot of geeks. If you can, design with NPNs. Most transistor circuits are NPN. I am this evening sitting in my Florida room with all windows open, coffee in hand, looking for a transistor logic simulator. No, not a gate. A transistor.
           An hour later, maybe this [simulator] does not exist. All I found were single transistor sites that calculated the inputs. Nope, not what I wanted. All my inputs are 5V through a 22k resistor, which I know saturates the switch (turns it completely on instantly). And that is good enough for me. But the very fact that all sites I visited had the same product is a classic example of the channelized nerdball mindset my booklet is out to quash. To mangle. To put to shame.

braille bible; percocet nose damage; tales from the trailer court; mix electronics circuit diagram; 150sqft house trailerreprap mendel parts list; dog barking problem what is the strong's ultrasonic db output you can buy; percocet meme;