Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, February 4, 2013

February 4, 2013


           Here is Barbie and I, again after all these years. I never lost her because she was never mine, but how nice it is to meet up with her again. There are few words to describe what it is to know somebody who’s been through the same agonies and can still smile. We may get together some time soon. It is just nice to be back in the loop with a real lady. Oh, she can be the opposite, but so can I. But it would be a waste on each other.
           Another possible contact from my college days, I saw a very characteristic name reading my blog so I instantly sent out feelers. Tina, if you are the little lady whose mother’s garden got flattened by a hailstorm, then you know who I am. Please, email this blog. I’d love to see you again.

           Beyond that, I forced myself to have a lazy day. My shoulder aches have migrated to the surrounding bones and it is a dull pain not affected by Tylenol. So I found myself a bestseller from the middle of last year, “Explosive Eighteen”, by Janet Evanovich, from over here in Naples. It’s a murder mystery which I’m enjoying the more because it is written inside the head of the protagonist. And it shows the sissy way women think whenever they believe they are in control. It is an amusing story on that count alone. Honestly, do women still think dating two men at once is a racy, naughty adventure? It will be when they find out.
           The perfect weather got me out for a bike ride. Downtown, Starbucks, the library, the motorcycle shop, groceries, meds, and a new arm sling. I call this a quiet day? Something says I should plan for the time when I can’t do all this for myself. I had fun at the map show considering I must have walked a couple of miles, which I’m feeling today. The museum had another exhibit on the second floor with some early Florida artifacts. Indian pottery, arrowheads, and several reconstructions of lumber mills, fishing boats, and other things I cannot imagine anyone doing in the summer heat.
           That includes sailing, for it is said the Spanish who found Florida regarded it so dismal, they didn’t land. Makes sense. It wasn’t even in their trade routes until an Englishman discovered the Gulf Stream. Hurricanes are what wrecked so many treasure ships around here, not any Spanish intentions to sightsee. The museum is full of cannons and coins, who knows what else has been found that disappeared into the night. Here is a what, fifteen-footer.

           These are all muzzle-loaders built well after the advantages of breech-loading had been learned. Pirate ships used many swivel-guns, but breech-loaders were known to be dangerous for exploding. This cannon is far too large for a pirate ship, so it was likely a gold ship, known as a galleon. Why? Because the pirate ships had to move fast to catch their prey and their purpose was not to sink her. A cannon like this would slow you down and then send any potential treasure to the bottom. Or possibly a warship. The Spanish would have no qualms about sinking any foreign ship that got too close.
           Gold is looming again as today the major bond funds advised it was a good investment. Not in itself, they did not say that, but stated they were cautious of what the governments and central banks are doing to the money supply. The authorities are manifestly untrustworthy custodians of public money. Rumor is their next target is the bonds and bond funds, to leech the value out of this market. I view the bonds as just another form of paper money, a foolish investment. And forget foreign currency as a hedge. The way that banking has become globalized, there is no longer really such an animal as foreign currency.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++