Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, March 7, 2013

March 7, 2013

           I’ve learned a lesson with the photos you see here. I know the compound pictures are blurry. I’m still contending with Google’s latest screw-up of the file upload system, so I’ll tend to the matter. Meanwhile, this group photo is the fire extinguishers and fume detectors just in the Florida room. This place is safer than where most of you are located right now. The topic is the testing and recharging of these bottles.
           You see, it has become so expensive to maintain these extinguishers that I may opt to replace them annually. There is only a six dollar difference between recharge and buy new. When one totals the recharge cost, including the need for two business-day trips to the depot, new becomes the better option. What is the significance? Well, the new units are built in China. It is competitive to ship across the Pacific than to patronize the locals.
           It is a scenario, I think, that typifies what is wrong with business in America. And why no amount of “incentives” is going to improve things. Think about it. What is the root cause of why a business just up the street here cannot charge a far lower price than somebody on the other half of the planet?
           No, not labor costs, or direct materials, or overhead, those traditional expenses. It is the business model that is flawed because it is based on the “credit bloom” of the preceding century. Uncountable thousands of inefficient businesses sprang up with the attitude that cost doesn’t matter because everything is on credit. Now that cost has become the biggest concern, they can’t adapt back to cash. That would mean lowering their prices to point of working harder for less money. In this country and the one next to it, we’d rather go bankrupt and eat grass.
           Ah, the bakery this morning for my daily health food. All the good people got a free bag of fresh tomatoes, nice firm ones, too. Remember the lady who rode a sidecar in Europe and felt like a Queen? Her and I talked about my now standard policy of taking a first date to the library. And watching what books she picks out. As a joke I said a cookbook was awarded five points, a sewing book two points, you know, playing along with the game.
           Pow, she asks me what if the lady picks out a sex book. I grabbed my tomatoes and bailed, mumbling something about “a bonus of 1,250”. So we all know, the library is now integral to dating and if that is successful, there is a standing rule for the second date. My world says the second date means you should have something to talk about. Or there won’t be a second date, get it? So take her to the park and feed the birds. How could that go wrong? Think, “Eww, that bird is ugly” or “Get this thing off me”. It happens.
           Back to the bakery. It is like my old job, just me and a room full of women. The odd male that shows up is inconsequential. I normally work the puzzle page and leave, keeping much to myself unless the ladies want to chat. I need a new nickname for the blonde lady that doesn’t trust me or anyone, for that matter. She’s nice, my type, but woefully indecisive and over-cautious. I mean over the small stuff. We can all be a little too hesitant over things like marriage or signing mortgages. But not going out for tea. Let’s call her DeeDee and see if it adheres.
           It is past noon and Estelle has not called. That means something has changed. Too bad, she was decent company. I do remind all readers that there are no real names used in this blog (even after 15 years, I may still choose to not use a real name) and that the characters here are based on real people. But they are NOT real people, and there is always enough Michener-style fiction to prevent any real-life associations. So don’t ever read a passage here and think, “That’s me.” It isn’t, unless I’m giving credit or compliments.
           On the other hand, if you are a complete jerk, I may identify you any time I please. But that is generally reserved for the worst of the worst, people who should be personally avoided in real life. There is an old Eskimo saying, it is best to be nice all the time—especially around published authors.
           Have you seen the new sanctions against North Korea? No more racing cars, limos, and yachts. That will show them. Not so fast. It seems the embargo is only against the ruling elite. The peasants are still free to import things like private jets, to commute between rice paddies one presumes. Nobody ever said the United Nations wasn’t a hundred percent behind the people.
           Sieg Heil! All hotmail users will now be automatically converted to the dreaded MicroSoft Outlook. Your account is now routed through Outlook, even if you totally dislike the service and don’t want it. Remember, MicroSoft has always known what is best for you, much better than you know it yourself. But what is scary is how they are now starting to act like Google. (You should be careful of Outlook for a variety of reasons, the least of which is that it eventually “ties” all your accounts together, including any you wanted kept separate. They got this idea from AOL. Have you ever tried to cancel your AOL monthly payments?)
           The other day I published the schedule for loss of freedom. I believe I stated the list as loss of anonymity, then privacy, then secrecy. That third item was wrong. I mean loss of identity. But a moment’s thinking shows both are about right, so I will not go back and make the change. On the scale of three, which stage are you at? Anonymity is not invisibility as some people mistakenly believe.
           Cancel the movies tonight. I had intentions until I saw their offerings. It’s like, Jack and the Beanstalk, The Wizard of Oz, and Hansel & Gretel. They change the titles, but give me a break. That’s the best they can do? They must be writing their own reviews, since I keep reading that movie Estelle and I went to (Zero Dark Thirty) is supposed to be so wonderful. It was so-so and below average. If you want entertainment in this town, don’t rely on others.

ADDENDUM
           I see once again my support, if not admiration, of Reagan’s methods is not popular. And I understand that. Those whose business involves conflict resolution will try to force every conflict to have a resolution that is defined by their fixed mindset. It is a cute and juvenile system with immense appeal. But only those who never evolved much would like it. Here’s why.
           When you have a conflict-resolution committee in place, this encourages outrageous first attack. Why? Because the aggressor always knows the worst that can happen to him is a compromise. Make the assault ridiculous, and he may gain the half-ridiculous by settlement. Every antagonist quickly learns the most barbaric, the most atrocious wrongs are what produce the best rewards.
           It is actually more fine-tuned that even that. The aggressor can take advantage of any negotiating process by pretending the tiniest concession is a denial of basic rights. Remember Ken Sanchuk? I let him use my phone, which I didn’t have to do. His “attack” was to begin getting 35 to 40 incoming phone calls per day.
           I asked him to pick one hour of the entire week to stay off the phone so I could get my overseas report. He could not choose that hour, even 3:30 AM on a Tuesday. Why? Because that would be giving up his imaginary 24/7 rights. What was he hoping to gain? It seems he could, after all, manage that hour if I conceded to paying half his sports cable bill. No, I’m not making this up.
           My career at the big corporation had similar rough patches. I have a life-long history of dealing directly with problems, not with the other sides’s leadership. Their lying, grinning, self-worshiping counselors naturally see this as creating an impossible triangle that prevents them from doing their job, while I’m like, “what job?”
           And when Reagan applied same to the Soviets, their empire collapsed. That is why I so closely identify with the guy. Who needs treaties and summits and military advisers when, like myself, I can just disconnect my phone? (Or, Theresa, my electricity.) (Or Patsie, my management.)
           And it rarely ends there. You watch, such people sooner or later try to play the peacemaker. After losing the war, they want credit for ending it. They show up late in life, after they’ve let the damage they’ve done inflict hardships for decades and suddenly try to play the conciliator. Always remember such people refused to do ANY right and make ANY amends when others could possibly benefit thereby. They are self-centered to a one. They wake up old with a guilty conscience, no friends, and no accomplishments and want reconciliation now? Talk about your hidden agenda.
           Besides living good is, indeed, the best revenge. Think I’ll go downtown for a while. Why not, it is only 7:00 in the evening. Some lucky lady needs chatting up. You know what I like to do with the old ones? Keep chatting well past the point I know the answer is yes, then don’t come back from the can the last time. That’s what side doors are really for, Oggie.
           [Author's note: I did go downtown last evening, knowing full well what to expect. Every joint is still chasing the tourist dollars which are not there any more. Getting the touristy treatment is a little too oily for the locals. Take the highest rated place, Whiskey Tango. It is so obvious the waitresses are only in it for the money they can’t even pretend anything else. You wish it was self-serve just to not have to deal with them.
           Never try pointing out I am also in the entertainment industry. There are major differences. I actually like my work. I smile because I’m happy. I do the best I can no matter what I’m being paid. I don’t view what I do as putting up with other people or as an alternative to a real career. I don’t demand respect, I earn it or don’t get it. Nor do I spend half my time hiking up foundation garments. And I certainly don’t stop after every song and hold my paw out for a one dollar tip.]