Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, April 1, 2013

April 1, 2013

           This is a 150cc scooter. For some reason, I like the concept, though not the design. It’s a three-wheeler with windscreen and a roof. It has a dashboard, a trunk, and a foot brake. Made by an unknown company called JCL, it is reputed to hit 60 mph and it articulates on a joint under the seat. A rather plush looking seat at that. The downside is the $4,000 price tag. Structural diagrams indicate the canopy is reinforced with roll bars. Yes, my red scooter in the background got past the censors.
           A quick reminder that Tales does not observe April Fool’s Day, so what you see here is the usual dosage of creative misinterpretation. I’ll tell you what is fictional, the Mazda truck. It overheats without apparent cause so JP has not been putting any cash into it for months. You’ve already guessed I’m not riding that contraption out of town, even to the Keys. That also means JP, whether he repairs or buys new, won’t have any travel cash for the next few months.
           Not me, I’ll find someplace to visit. My wonderful GPS is not that great for trip planning. I still draw up the main travel routes by hand. Generally, the GPS has been a disappointment though I’m taking it along to tell me where I am. If I didn’t say already, it gets so difficult to program alternative roadways that by the time you’re done you’ve got it memorized. As for positioning, I should have learned to use the sextant.
           I’m high and dry as for destinations. The City of New Orleans is too big a trip just now, as I’d have to white knuckle it to Louisiana during tourist season. South, I’ve already seen. North, I’ve done the coast to St. Augustine. Then again, if I stick right on the coastal roads, chances are the lack of tourists period will translate to a quiet drive who knows how far north. As a last resort, no pun intended, I’ve always wanted to visit St. Petersburg.
           A review of the iPad software reveals a disturbing trend with Apple. They are no longer the sweet little company that did things right. There are an increasing number of auto-running scripts that permanently install themselves during the boot-up procedure. In other words, Apple is becoming more and more like MicroSoft. I usually encounter these scripts when they prevent me from doing something, like taking a screen snapshot. I most certainly never asked Apple for such a feature.
           Trivia. The Exxon Valdez remains the worst oil spill in the Pacific, but the ship did not sink. That doesn’t make sense, does it? From what I read, tankers are not supposed to be filled with oil above the waterline unless the boat is double-hulled. The Valdez must therefore have been filled to higher than the waterline more than that for 25 million gallons of oil to leak out. Can you see what doesn’t add up? If a hole that big was under water, the ship would have sunk. Funny, however, that none of the news stations at the time questioned this.
           How about another statistic? I read a questionnaire for sperm donors. Why? Follow the logic here. You could go blue in the face asking women what they want because either they don’t know themselves or they lie. My purpose was to examine what women would choose as the correct genetic makeup for their children. Serious business indeed, finding out what women do over what they say. The bad news for most men is the situation is what you’ve suspected all along. Most of you would never be your woman’s first choice.
           The surprise to me is my own 71% match. However, I failed on some major issues. I am not six-foot-plus, nor deeply religious, and I would not describe my looks as “rugged”. Bald men need not apply. What do women chose to be fathers of their children? Blue eyes, brown hair, fair skin, slim, and intelligent. I know what some of you are thinking, but yes, I am already quite aware that the 71% of the women who want me are the fat dumpy ones whose best chance at scoring is probably artificial insemination. Ha, weren’t expecting that, were ya?
           This photo is here because I think there were not enough photos from the fair last Monday.