Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, April 27, 2013

April 27, 2013

           And a perfect Saturday it was, for working on the motorcycles, that is. Sunny, cool northwest breeze. The scooter is around half-way through a long and difficult electrical upgrade as I replace defective parts and the 24 guage wire they used with my own 18 guage. I should not say replace as a lot of times I leave the original in place and run a parallel new wire with waterproof connectors. I’ve had opens, but never a short on this machine. The factory joints and contacts are terrible.
           Is it still the same machine? That depends. The only major parts that have not been replaced are the frame and wheel rims. Today new horn (shown here), new headlight bracket, and a louder signal light buzzer. When it got back from the shop, the horn and lights didn’t work, so that was a $30.00 upgrade. The robot club will never make money with electronics as the quality we learned from day one takes too long. To replace the horn, I spliced six wires. This required two hours but those splices will outlive the scooter and they are heap pretty, too.

           On top of that, the repairs required 17 hand tools, including clippers, nippers, pliers, knives, drill, socket, needle-nose, battery charger, clips, assorted screwdrivers, pry bar, clamps, grinder, and that’s not counting tape, connectors, heatshrink, solder, and other supplies. If this scooter was not so handy, I would not bother. In fact, I’ve learned a lot about the machine and I am no mechanic. Next, I’m going to tackle a permanent mount for the GPS on the batbike. I’ve narrowed the starting problem down to something with the cathode (negative) battery cable. That could be a real savings as I was concerned we’d have to pull the motor.
           Oh, speaking of that, I found $300 I must have stashed in my cookie jar last year and forgot. That hasn’t happened since I worked for the phone company, when I used to find the odd uncashed paycheck in my dresser drawer. This is not neglectful, but a sign that I am again operating at a surplus. If I was short cash, these areas are the first places I’d look. The bank isn’t any safer for storage (careful what I mean), ask anybody in Cyprus. So, it was drive to Old Navy and I’ve got a new shirt, two pair of summer shorts, and some fashionable exercise gear.
           Bingo was surprisingly lively. But since I was out late enough to encroach on Friday evening, I came directly here instead of the usual stop at Karaoke. Trust me, I’ve got enough music on the brain already. The number of telltale signs that this new band is the real thing continues to both increase and stay on course. For example, one of the ways I knew a guitarist wasn’t learning my material is when he wasn’t on the phone five times a week bitching at me. I’m the other extreme, I keep this band supplied with two to three memorandums a week outlining my progress. Even when away on holidays.

           I don’t memorize tunes in isolation. I find that [amateurish tactic] creates a rigid style that nobody likes a second time. I tend to study the bassist in question and you might be surprised how often it is studio overdubbing or a different person responsible for what you hear [on your favorite recordings]. A lot of funny business goes on in the studios. I can instantly detect a stand-up bass player or a guitar player pretending to play bass. I totally dislike synthesized bass, including the sound, the technique, and the mentality of those who use it. Yet, I have no objections to properly programmed drum tracks.

ADDENDUM
           Here we go again with the next round of bad electronics information. You’ve heard of crystals, they are tiny oblong metal cans that generate a pulsing wave at the frequency listed on the can lid. I would like to connect one up and make it work. Once again, nothing is available, no books, nothing on-line. There is plenty of repetitious material, but not a single word on what I want—how to connect one and make it work. I would also appreciate some instructions on which one a beginner should buy, where to buy it, what I need to hook it up, and a list of basic experiments that teach me if I’m doing it right.
           As usual, I have not found a single author or source that respects what I want. What they call a tutorial is consistently some egghead with no aptitude for teaching. You can take a look for yourself, no links provided since they are all a waste of time. I can’t even find a source that will tell me if the thing varies current or voltage (but I think it is voltage). At least now I can read the schematics, but I don’t need to know how these things are built. That’s not what I asked for, but that’s all I get. Once again, I’ll figure it out myself and then get deluged with data after I no longer need it.
           Where is my blowtorch? Here is an extra photo of what I mean about the fuel canister. I say again, the refillable models do not work. They lack the endurance to get the job done. See me pointing to the can on the right? That is what I mean by camp stove fuel canister. It is full of propane and will light the torch for a month of my average usage. The can on the left, well, that's your Bernz-o-matic waste of money. I have never been able to get those refills to work right and besides, they are over-priced.