Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, May 31, 2013

May 31, 2013


           Here is the electric bike undergoing a quick tune-up. I finally sprung for the new battery after several months of broken promises by people who could not deliver. This bike does not like remanufactured batteries. Agt. M’s car, the Lexus, is out of commission so he’ll be using the ebike until he gets back on the road. Ignore the datestamp, it was taken with the beautiful camera the club bought for me and I haven’t set it up yet.
           Ah, some say, how did it come to pass that those who once said the ebike was for old people and such are now riding it? I’ll tell you. I said, take it around the block first, I said, giving advice on how to use pedal assist, conserve power, and other tidbits not in the operator’s manual. Ten minutes later, the once despised “old people’s bike” was winning popularity contests. It went something like this:

           “I gotta have this bike!”
           “You can’t have this bike.”
           “I’ll buy it from you!”
           “It isn’t for sale.”
           “This is all you need for around town!”
           “Seems I remember some old guy saying the same thing not that long ago.”

I told ya, this electric bike has earned a permanent place in my life. This is not a toy. I once took it 26 miles to BrandSmart and back. It has been ruggedized as far as possible and features many field improvements. For round trips of eight miles or less, this is a long-term replacement for operating an automobile. For round trips of twelve miles, it suffices around 80% of the time. Now you know why I took this bike with me on the motorcycle to Colorado last year.
           Speaking of the new camera, it is a Kokak Easyshare. I have no idea why it is called that. There is nothing easier to share than any other digital camera, but this one promises to solve the macro problem. Once I figure it out, that is. You’ll know when you see extreme close-ups of electrical components. Also, Agt. M reports he did not think up the m-anchor concept at that moment, that he’s used the technique before, but as far as he knows, the idea is original.

           The final results of my semi-annual tests are in and the news is disturbing. My system has become less responsive to both the heart medications and therapy of the immediately previous several years. This type of reaction is common with me. Great initial results, tapering off. This has to be hereditary since there is nothing in my diet or lifestyle that can be remotely blamed for such a serious condition. If there is no cure, I must seek a better control.
           Gosh, isn’t there any good news? Sort of. The study group discussed with my physician called and I am precisely the sort of candidate they are seeking. It is a three year study that involves injections every three months. Once they assured me it won’t turn me into a monkey, I listened very closely. Hey, hey, hey, easy on the snarky comments, guys. Besides, I said monkey, not gorilla.

           The drill press. I’m learning plenty about rust removal. Home Depot only sells it by the half gallon. It contains oxalic acid which I had formerly associated with rhubarb poisoning. Don’t eat the leaves. Which reminds me, many of my workshirts kept developing little holes that grew with every wash until ruined. I couldn’t figure this out, since I’m not working with acid. I finally clued in. Unlike some people around here, I always use safety gear. Well, almost always. One time I didn’t use goggles when soldering and saw the tiniest spitballs of molten metal falling on my clothes. So there. Now I wear an apron, problem solved.
           Here’s a nice photo of the red scooter in front of the bakery. The trump breakfast is now a standard. That’s the creation special for me of lettuce, tomato, and whole wheat with Hungarian paprika paste. That’s my parking spot, no share-zies. And if you’ve read this far, I’ve got another term new to most that I think we should start following. Graphene. I found the term reading up on nano-science, but you don’t have to go that far. Anyway, keep an eye on developments with this material. I will.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++