Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, June 23, 2013

June 23, 2013

           Here’s three-quarters of the new group playing on the Hollywood beachfront for the feed the animals society. It’s our first official playout and that is a milestone for any band. I have no idea who would quit after so much work, but a lot of groups never make it to that first outing. For some reason all of us are looking down except the drummer, indicated we’d just hit a particularly difficult passage. We were the last of a day full of bands and started late. Promoters rarely allow bands enough time to get their gear off stage so we started two hours late.
           Which means we inherited an exhausted and well-lubricated crowd. The band ahead of was super loud. Deafening is more like it. Don’t get me wrong, I’m an old rock player and I like loud. But not ridiculous. They had an odd format. Your typical rock band with a black lady singer who was at it all the time. She sang everything scat style without taking many breaths. Theirs was an interesting presentation.
           Alaine drove up for the show, what a sweetheart. She’s the unofficial president of my fan club. Conspicuously, JP did not make it. What a schmuck I am, I didn’t stop to think about food since I eat before I leave. Alaine sprung for snacks so I owe her a fancy dinner. It will happen, since times have obviously changed. Our music is rather specialized and every band plays differently on stage than at practice. And that is something only time can fix. I know I can only do it once I learn the signals that a drop is going to happen. In all, I rate the band a success.
           This was also some type of perigee. The Moon was closer to the Earth tonight than for 18 years. Most people would notice nothing but it was also a day after a full moon so superstition was at work on this. Alas, I had the same lousy Nikon camera that took the band picture above so I could not capture any interesting shots. Avoid Nikon, read the complaints and review before every buying from them. One bad design wrecked their reputation with me.
           The bakery is closed for annual vacation until late this week. Thursday I think. The family is visiting from Europe and wants to see the Disney Shopping Plaza in Orlando. It is erroneously called Disneyworld by those who have never seen it.
           I watched a Crackle [movie]. The thing about money, it ensures the survival of the unfittest. The worst acting lately goes to “Dummy”. The movie would be actually interesting if they dumped the whole Jewish angle, but it dominates what should have been an interesting plot. It reeks of every predictable Woody Allen cliché without the budget. I watched it because I once had the similar idea of using a dummy as a sidekick. Then I discovered bass playing.
           Don’t bother with this movie, it confuses good acting with acting Jewish—not a racist statement, watch the damn movie before forming any such opinion. Same old funny looking, insecure Jewish boy gets white girl. Covers no new ground. When it comes to that, talk about filmed on location. I cannot believe anybody in that movie ever won an Oscar, but it says so in the credits. Even if my concept of Jewish tradition is stomping on goblets and dancing in circles, I still could not identify with this movie. Not even the band.