Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, June 8, 2013

June 8, 2013

           Once again, the household takes top spot. Tropical storms love to hit Friday evenings and knock out the Internet. So nothing gets fixed until the following Tuesday. So, what is interesting around here? I bought a book on how to ePublish which appears to be more step-by-step than most. And lays off on stale advice on how to write. We don’t need more formulaic authors in this country. The book is from England, a source I trust compared to the home-grown varieties. Today’s post should be full of this style of commentary. Unless I see the sun.
           It has proven difficult over the years to find an instruction booklet on ePublishing that spells out all the steps and all the fees that must be paid. If you’ve been put off by the lack of integrity and honesty of Internet site creation before, it is not your imagination. Back in 1996, we tried to flowchart a set of standard directions on how to set up a web page.
           It could not be done without circular references. Every confusing step depended on some future choice not taken yet. Every equation wound up with added costs because of bundling and unbundling, that is, what is included and what isn’t. My best assessment of creating (not operating) a business on the Internet is that the system was set up to be intentionally perplexing.

           My immediate plans may undergo a major adjustment due to a snap decision I had to make [this morning] that affects the next three years. The foremost drug of the new study is not covered by my insurance. It had to be paid for today or forfeited. My verdict was to go ahead, pay for it myself. If it works, it is worth it. If not, I withdraw from the program.
           The middle ground is that it may be affordable if the study pays enough or can get me a discount. Nine bucks per pill! I won’t even discuss the dosage and frequency. All decisions described here are short term, but I slowly considered if I want or can live the next few years the way things are. The answer was no, I cannot stake chances over the stealthy symptoms which preceded my previous attacks if a potential treatment is available. Methinks, I’d rather be broke and alive.
           As my budget system is arranged, this gigantic new expense will initially throw off all the criteria I use to make decisions. Listen what I said, the big word is “arranged”. My system is probably different from yours. I base all expenditure on it. Such as, can I afford a holiday this month? When I walked out of that pharmacy, I could imagine my charts and scales plunging down “like the gas needle on an Escalade”, as my mind put it.

Author's note 2015-06-09: My response to the treatment was so textbook perfect that the manufacturer eventually provided me the medicine for free.

           The following is sheer speculation, but so what? I admit I cannot afford a 3D printer because I will regret not learning how to operate one. And how important was that printer? I will live to regret this choice, but I will live. We are about to behold the end of factory-based manufacturing. The 3D printer will not only save America, it will uniquely save those who get one before the inevitable backlash from the means-of-production interests with their inherited trillions bound up in plant and machinery. All of it becomes obsolete in the next few months and years. They ain’t going down without a fight, are you listening?
           It is hopeless to explain how momentous this invention will become. Life itself will change. Right now the printers spray plastic. But this is the dawn of an era; one cannot imagine what fantastic fabrication machines are on the drawing boards. Nothing is inconceivable. Put in my order for new eyes, new teeth, with a new heart on the side. Sadly, this blog where many of you heard it first may become one of the last to acquire the technology. If I had a million dollars right now, I would invest every penny of it in 3D printing. And print my own medicines for five cents. What a concept, the nano-printer. That makes the ultra-rich sweat up a storm, even if it is just the next historical go-round.

           Credit where it is due. I bought a $4 toothbrush because it alleged to remove 96% more bacteria. More than what? Hmmm. I was skeptical. Anyway, I must recommend this product. A Colgate 360. It is really something else and really does work. The first time you use it, even the sensation of brushing is different.
           See the circular bristle patterns? They are designed right. On the back of the head (not shown) there is a tongue scraper. What’s neat is that when regular brushing, this scraper works against the inside of your lips and cheeks, producing that feeling of just having a dental cleansing. I endorse this well-made instrument. Team it up with Optic White toothpaste and you will become a believer.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++