Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, August 8, 2013

August 8, 2013


           Another what-is-it? These are so popular I wish I had more. I don’t seek them out so they are what randomly catches my eye. This is also plastic, the outer ring is brittle, the inner white ring is rubbery. Return another day for the answer, this is a family show. The guy that thought of this is rich. Only a global-size economic market could make trinkets like this worth the effort. Hint, everything I review in this fashion retails for less than a buck.
           Today didn’t go off as planned. For openers, JZ was supposed to show up at 7:00 AM and didn’t. We would have taken off until the weekend. My default plan is to pile onto the batbike and leave without him, but the same tiredness overtook me as Tuesday. Maybe I should not have blamed Zumba. Too tired to risk driving even a couple of hours, I went to the bakery.
           Where I made the hilarious error of asking them if they wanted anything because I was going up to Homeless Depot. Yes. A pressure washer, a stainless steel dryer, you get the idea. In the end, I didn’t even make it that far, since when I’m tired it is home time. I’ve slept through too many expensive movies to try to cheat on my sleep. When I'm tired, I hit the sack, any time night or day. I looked up the possible side effects of the diet and this is not one of them. But it makes sense that dropping calories by 80% for a week is not going to provide a morning boost.

           Aha, have you seen the newest stats on vehicle operating costs, not to be confused with the total cost of ownership. This isn’t an easy thing to calculate because it is a mixture of fixed and variable costs. That is why my calculation is empirical. Annual cost divided by annual mileage, no muss no fuss. I’m not about to go back and find the places I’ve quoted this figure, but I know a car is 10 cents per mile to drive around. Now, this expensive Honda study says it is 10.3 cents. They could have just asked me.
           There is another aspect to driving a cheaper vehicle that too often gets overlooked. Repairs. A set of windshield washers on my Cadillac was $80 in the shop, do it yourself and void the warranty. Or $450 for an oxygen sensor, since they only come in a set and all four must be replaced together. On the scooter, my most-often broken vehicle, I’ve never had to shell out more than $200 at a time. That has happened a mite too many times, but it was always in the range where I had the cash. That counts for something.

           A tow truck driver in Ft. Lauderdale attempting to remove a gold-colored Jaguar was shot dead. Twice to the back of the head. The gunman has the unlikely first name of Triston, sounds like a fat cat rich boy’s name. I know that tow trucks are necessary, but also know the entire industry of towing is fundamentally a rip-off. They don’t just tow your vehicle, they charge you for “storing” it, then act as public overseers by demanding tons of unrelated documentation and any outstanding fines before you get it back. They often delay answering your inquiry so they can charge an overnight storage fee, the oldest scam in the book.
           This goes far beyond the mere act of towing. Nor is it enough to prove you own the vehicle. They want your life history updated on a computer file they don’t have to tell a thing about. (How do I know? I once worked for a Canadian company, where the entire system is set up to snag people in this fashion. The pound won't give your dog back if you were not on the most recent census, type of thing. Canada has a Liberal mob mentality. They gang up on anybody who is not constantly trying his damndest to pretend to be "normal".) So it is little wonder that somehow, I don’t feel anywhere near as sorry as I know I should for towing company employees who die on the job.
           Incidentally, if you find your vehicle in the act of being towed, you can often get it back by paying the driver $50 on the spot. Other than things like that, there is no third-world style corruption in America. None whatsoever. Aren’t you glad we live in such a modern and progressive society?
           I promised you a photo of my flowering cactus. Here’s the baby, though I don’t know how to check if it is a boy cactus or a girl cactus. Just like in politics, you can’t tell just because of all the pricks. There are actually two flowers in this photo, if you squint a little.
           I’m slowly getting rid of all the plastic in my kitchen. After considerable research, I don’t like any of the materials, including the ones that say dishwasher or microwave safe. I find there is no acceptable level of leaching from these, so everything (for microwave cooking) is being replaced by glass. I’ve even decided against enamel and ceramic except in the fridge. That’s what I was doing up at Target. Walmart has gotten itself such a bad reputation that I don’t even go there unless Target doesn’t have it.

           [Author's note 2015-07-30: this was written before Walmart began offering the best local varieties of non-GMO foods. There was simply no other store to buy this food at a reasonable price until the Europa opened in 2015. Additionally, many US food manufacturers fought back with confusing and misleading labels. And by inventing seven different words for corn sweeteners and plastering "sugar-free" on the packages. With "not a diet food" in 5 point script, often placed where right-handed people's thumb would hide the words when they picked up the article. This is not Walmart's fault.]

           Other than that, all I did today was make up the list for Saturday’s “Short Snappers”. Here is a free sample: The invisible man married the invisible woman. And their kids are nothing to look at either.
           Don’t hit me.
           What? You want another? Okay, here you go: Is it true you have to know lots to become an auctioneer?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++