Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

September 24, 2013

           I was so exhausted after today, I sat down and read a book on brick-laying. They call it masonry. I call it relaxing, purging. Soon, I will identify the pattern on brick-paved Taylor Street. The rest of today’s record is leftovers. You like that? Good, most of life is leftovers—unless you own a motorcycle or some other way to inject new spirit into the void. I want to move ahead rapidly with this camper. It isn’t happening on schedule. And I need a holiday.
           Two solid days of rain as I try to begin the electrical wiring on the wagon. There’s no storms around, so the rain must know I’m running a little late. Scumbag rain. The wagon lid is going to be a simple 15/32” sheet with a trim of 1x4” as a rain cap. I’ve decided to locate a hatch 16” back from the tail end. It will swing upward and let me enter the camper by sitting instead of sliding. Once that’s done I need a sunny day or two to complete the wiring.
           All the components are already pre-mounted on panels designed to tuck out of the way along the upper camper interior. They are already bolted into place and only need to be connected by races of conducting wire. Other than that, I’m ready for a test run, with or without the mattress. I have no other method of determining the aerodynamics of the rig, being that I’m short on things like a wind tunnel. Then again, do I want to know? This is a square box on wheels designed without streamlining concerns to travel 45 to 48 mph.
           That’s the dynamics I’m interested in. Mileage covered in the most pleasant way possible. I averaged 54 mph to Colorado and 53 mph to Savannah, for just under 6-1/2 hours travel time per day. It generally took 9 hours to do that. Where I hope to gain is an extra 90 minutes easy travel time per day. A lower speed but a net increase of around 50 miles per day, with longer breaks whenever I feel like it.
           Who remembers January 23, 2004? I last looked for a foam mattress or foam pad on that day. Just a regular pale green latex mattress 4 inches thick. I had no better luck today than back then. Everywhere you ask, they try to steer you into buying memory foam, as if you’ve never heard of it or something equally crazy.
           Later, I skipped Zumba class and put another six hours into the trailer. It is starting to come together. The neighbors think it odd I wear so much safety gear, but for a guy who doesn’t have any training, I’ve still got all my fingers and toes. The rear hatches are cut and ready for install. Then up go the solar panels. I think, however, I won’t leave the panels on when I go to register the vehicle. I’ve heard the DMV gets sticky about the unconventional. To me that is vastly overstepping their authority, but why give them a reason to look? I’ve already decided to tow it there with JP’s truck.
           I’m reading a book on forensic investigations, the science of solving crimes by scientific means. It is a collection of case histories that pioneered techniques and were well covered by the media. Since most violent death is caused by a person known to the victim, identification is considered a priority. Next, time of death, then last, cause of death. Before, I would have gotten that order mixed up.
           What struck me most was not the actual evidence, but how it was used. In nearly every case there was not a direct link to the felony, no smoking gun. Instead, a suspect was tricked into talking until there was enough “evidence” to sway a jury. Hardly ethical practice but a great lesson about not talking to the police about any crime, ever. I was appalled by the number of times expert testimony stated something “was consistent with” some textbook criteria. Because I know how often those textbooks are wrong and how long false facts remain unchallenged. There are still a lot of people who think that Columbus discovered America and Hitler started World War II.
           Unsuccessful. That’s my hunt for those vibration isolators for my solar panels. They are just not as common as you’d think and the few I found were very heavy duty. For the first time, I went into a Grainger and the prices knocked me over. It was mostly good quality but I still can’t see spending $40 on a pair of pliers.
           I thought over the hour at the iPad class last evening and I think I’ll go again at least once. It was a curious thing to hear the questions asked by the class and the way their wording revealed their perspectives. “To get your mail, you have to turn on the Internet.”
Here is what my (unusually well-formatted) blog looks like on the iPad. I’m not ready to spend so much money on a device like this, but the library has so many, they gave me this loaner for the class.
           It was impressive that that crowd showed for the lessons because iPads are not exactly the best place to start. You are performing a combination of computer, networking, and wireless skills that are generally too advanced for the average user to comprehend.
           A. That means most people who use the technology don't understand it.
           B. That is how identities get stolen--most people in the room thought they were required to answer any question the computer displayed.
But it is probably best nobody fall too far behind or they will never catch up.

ADDUNDUM
           I have the Acer computer with no hard drive back [here in my possession], and it is a completely different machine. Upgraded beyond recognition at a huge cost unaffordable at retail. This is the unit with a stick memory that caught ransomware, the virus that pretends to be FBI and wants $300 to unlock it. I still cannot figure out how such businesses are legally allowed to operate in this country. Anybody who puts something on my computer (or other private property) that lowers my right to enjoy it is stealing, or at the least, trespassing.
           The best way to deal with that particular virus is to completely re-install your operating system, taking care to preserve all drivers. This requires uncommon skill, but it gives your computer a fresh start—and the knowledge that you are visiting the wrong type of web pages. And you are not the least concerned that your usage is being tracked by the authorities? Just askin’. Repeat accusations carry the same weight as a conviction, and your enemies know it.
           Further, I examined Office 365, MicroSoft’s latest offering which comes in at least four different versions. Well, that’s not a precise description of the product. There is a version which they take away the advanced features and call it different. One look was enough for me. None but a fool would keep any type of private data with it, and to me, all business and financial data is private. Only the bare minimum required by law is ever revealed, and even then, only to those with the authority to demand it. In writing. Putting private data on the Internet is akin to scribbling your daughter’s phone number on the restroom wall.