Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, October 25, 2013

October 25, 2013

           But first, here is a mystery picture of trees planted in the ditch. Can you see it? I say planted because they are on one stretch of road, all the same tree and same age. Must be some kind of experiment. Does anyone know? I'm not used to seeing trees along freeway ditches, but I'm used to seeing cars that manage to get into them.
           Overnight in Dawson, GA. Find that on the map. It's just west of Albany, where my GPS really let me down just before nightfall. First, let me do a Herodotus. That the Greek who reported a tale of sailing around Africa circa 600 BC, but nobody would believe him because nobody knew about the equator. (He was the historian who said the sun was north instead of south.) So, here is a situation I could not have imagine, meaning to imply I really saw it.
           When the camper hatch is opened in the early morning, almost directly overhead is the Moon and Venus, just a few degrees apart. Could that be one of them there "omens"? I found myself on several stretches of [the same] road that were part of my Colorado trip, again showing the GPS has a channelizing effect. On my own, I would only travel new paths when possible. I turned at Lake Worth and wesnt west to Monticello. The scenic route. I stopped at a thrift and got some excellent hand tools for $10 each. If there is enough demand, I'll publish photos of my new "Yankee screwdriver". North Florida still has road signs, so the GPS is just advisory.
           However, the problems still occur. The GPS settings don't reflect reality. If you select the shortest route, you will wind up on country roads with speed limits of 15 mph. If you try fastest route, it overrides your other preferences and puts you only on freeways. I don't do freeways. The closest is the "eco route", although it kept telling me I had to backtrack to Tampa.
           Sunrise was 7:27 and I drove 9 of the next 12 hours. The average was less than 40 mph, but by motorcycle standards that is not too bad. I passed the frost line near a town called Madison, and yes, it got cold. The best scenery was early morning with foggy lakes and dark valleys.
           It was more the cold that stopped me than the gathering darkness. The GPS gave me a wrong turn through a farming road and driving between trees can be cool enough in the late afternoon. It was a bit of a struggle to stay warm in the camper but I managed. The problem is that the necessary blankets rely on bulk and squeeze the already limited space. I am going to require a sleeping bag, something rated for zero. I'm already jumpy about how cold it is already.
           Thus, I may go for an electric blanket and keep the lid open. It is too cold for mosquitoes. When I say open, I don't mean the hatch. The camper is designed so the entire "roof" cam be propped up. As long as I'm in a secure area, that is no problem. The great people at the Kangaroo let me use their back parking lot.
           Event of the day? Pearl Creek gas stop. See photo. This guy had solar panels in a big way. Most common motive to get off the grid? Abuses by the electric company.
           Here is the promised photo of the Big Brother Laundromat. Again, the lady was nice, but the concept of having to give one's name and address to wash your clothes is against my grain. True, it is probably nothing--until you consider what will eventually happen to that information. You know, when your wife buys larger size dresses and the next thing you know your medical premiums go up.
           Read y'day's post. These machines do no take money. Rather, you purchase a card. Like a spa, their idea is to sell you the most expensive membership they can and then hope you never show up.
           I got some inquiries as to what a "Yankee screwdriver" looks like. I'm going to hold off and tease you with that one. Tell you what, when this trip is over, I will reveal the goods. Deal? Good.

ADDENDUM
           It was actually the town of Davenport, not Gainesville, where the Denny's let me crash overnight y'day. They got my business. I arrived late after only 256 miles, and that was not yet over the frost line, so I had to sleep in shorts. I'm gaining experience and found I was too close to a noisy freeway. I could hear mufflers all night even with my white noise generator on full blast.
           I'm still passing by towns I did before. I recognized the turf all the way to Fort Worth, where I deliberately turned toward Monticello. Thats the name of the town I found the Yankee screwdriver. It is the scenic route. North Florida has something south Florida lacks. Road signs. And weird farm vehicles like this one.
           Even with the GPS, errors happen. Those devices are freeway-centric. If you choose shortest route, you wind up on country roads at 15 mph. Choose fastest route and you are stuck between semi-trailers on the Interstate. Opt for IQ route, and it kept telling me to drive back south to Tampa. I'd rather take my chances and find majestic little towns like this courthouse (which you'll see again in a few days).
           And the photo of the solar panels? I'm increasingly finding that people are opting for them not to save money, but because they want off the grid. That, I cannot blame them for. It would do most people well to be rid of the electric company if they only knew the bullshit that goes on with their information.
           Remember this is the blog that predicted the misuse of smart meters. And it will not be long before your appliances will be clandistinely reporting your behavior back to company databases with data that has nothing to do with the supplying of electricity. There is no such thing as information that a corporation or government will not abuse. Have you read about corporations spying to find out which causes the non-profits are targeting? There you go.