Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, October 4, 2013

October 4, 2013

           Here’s the twin scooters over at Miguel’s shop. Many a Florida handyman has this type of setup, a tarp over an unused walkway. I work outside, but tend use the early and late hours rather than the hottest times of day. I worked on the camper till late, which is a different matter altogether than the camper registration I’ll mention in a bit. It was a six hour day but no progress, as I was replacing the hinges that didn’t work right and painting over spots where the finish has gotten nicked by my on-going work. Anyway, we own identical scooters.
           We got us one of those good day-bad day scenarios. The bad day was Radio Shack. You are too young to remember, but I’m the guy that sued Radio Shack back in 1991. We settled out of court for $7,000. I ran in to buy some batteries and the clerk would not give me a receipt unless I gave him a phone number “for the record”. No, I’m not giving Radio Shack my unlisted phone number, but that’s when the manager from the back blabbed, “Why not? Have you got something to hide?”
           Even if I have plenty to hide, it is not the province of some loser who works for Radio Shack to defame my character. I filed for $10,000 in damages. For the longest time, Radio Shack never demanded phone numbers again. Until around four years ago, they again began “requiring” them for product warrantees. Then today, when I went to return defective merchandise, I could hardly deny I had a phone because that’s where I pay my bill. They were going to put my phone number into the returned merchandise database. The hell you are. It was this close to lawyer time before they saw things my way.
           Enough bad. Now the good. This morning I met the spryest gal in years, maybe decades. Sadly, it was the batbike, not my sparkling wit and handsome, yet boyish good looks, that attracted her attention. No nickname yet, she runs a machine that gives horses therapy of some sort. Her own car, her own job, and not in a serious relationship. Folks, this does not happen in Florida. That’s when I noticed her business card said Kentucky. You know, I’ve had a life-long love of horse racing all of a sudden.
           Next a little victory, the camper registration at the DMV. My double-whammy method worked again. Now I don’t mind bucking the system so let me tell you right off there is some leeway when you build your own camper. The first DMV gave me the gears and I listened closely. At the second place, shall we say my camper was 10 pounds under the tax limit, 4 inches shorter than the maximum, and a variety of other criteria that allowed the clerk to handle the registration most expeditiously. Ha!
           For the record, during the process, the clerk paid an undue amount of attention to the sales receipt. If she had been instructed to ask baiting questions, all I can say is I also paid it a lot of attention. It was purchased July 15 and she asked that. Also the purchase price. She wasn’t getting on my case, just following procedure. This was the “nice” DMV, but it explains why the other location was so adamant that I produce that receipt “to prove the sales tax has been paid”. Ah, he was setting me up.
           Upon further investigation, I may opt to put an air mattress in the camper. Yes, that is one more thing that could go wrong on the road, but I could just replace it for $20. The downside is the mattress will be thicker than I allowed for when I measured the headroom. The window for a test run before I leave is getting very narrow and there is another tropical storm messing me up. These storms may be hundreds of miles out to sea but if they stop the gulf winds above town, we get a soaking every afternoon.
           I dropped my tonneau cover off at the shoemaker. That’s going to cost me a hundred, but it turns out to be an absolutely necessary part of the motorcycle. Boris reports that the material on Russian motorcycles is not real leather either. So does that mean my cover is authentic? The shoe shop wants an IP phone connected, which is not my area but I’m looking at it. AT&T raised single line business phones up to $80 per month. The main reason they haven’t already lost the customer is because the phone number is associated with the business.
           Most future trips will be made with the tonneau in place. The windscreen cuts the gas mileage and it really an in-town convenience. I’ll be leaving a month later than my return trip from Colorado, and that was nearly perfect weather. It’s the trip back on the edge of winter that has me a bit worried. If I get chilly, just stop and buy a super winter parka. It won’t cost as much as a single motel. The Honda throws off plenty of heat.