Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, December 8, 2013

December 8, 2013


MORNING
           I’m up early and grumpy. Don't expect much today. I don’t mind them 30,000 bikers having their annual Xmas toy drive. They are way over on Federal. But them damn news helicopters. I think newspaper reporters have been smacked in the head with those blades and no longer know what dorks they are. Plus, my [Goldwing] oil plug did not arrive on schedule. I need that motorcycle by mid-week, or I’m bussing it to Miami for Alaine’s birthday.
           But grumpy doesn’t stop me from getting things done. Here is Alaine’s surprise birthday slash Xmas present, demonstrating my superb gift-wrapping skills. See the nice red bow? It’s velvet material and this is a busy picture if you know what to look for. But I let it through because only the super-intelligent will find what isn’t supposed to be there and they will just laugh about it. The other people? Well, I told you I was grumpy. Like, if Alaine reads the blog, then the gift isn’t a surprise, either. Damn those helicopters.

           What’s this? My November 19 post, the one with the description of my distrust of crime labs, look at the hits! And my inbox, too. Sorry, folks, I do not respond to or publish comments. And I do not answer individual e-mails. This is a blog, not a forum or debating society. If you have an opposing viewpoint, publish it on your own, I won’t do it for you. Grumble, grumble, and it isn’t even noon yet. I still have to head to band practice at 3:00 PM.
           Nine and a half hours. That’s how much time I put in on the new band material since last week. Counting commute time to the practice shack, that’s twelve hours on a musical venture that is unlikely to succeed in the short run. Plus, the new music has been arbitrarily chosen to match the new singer without much regard to its playability to the band overall. Unlike myself, the other band members never listen carefully to each instrument before deciding if the song is suitable for what we do. Actually, this tends to play into my hands but it is still not the right way to select new material. Be back in an hour, gotta run.

NOON
           Yes, I can give an example. The guys want to play the Eurythmics “Here Comes The Rain Again” and didn’t notice my jaw drop. That tune is a major studio production that has no bass line. What? No, what you think is the bass is a keyboard synthesizer with a bass patch. But on numerous occasions already, the other band members have said [things to the effect that] the bass is easy so just follow along. They plainly have not even considered what has to happen on the bass, but so what, who’s gonna notice anyway? You know, I’m kind of glad you just asked that question.
           Of course I can play a keyboard part translated to bass. Every band I’ve ever played in has underestimated my ability to do this. What’s more, they don’t really pay attention to the bass player at practice—unless he makes the tiniest mistake. However, they certainly pay attention when the crowd starts cheering the bassist at a gig. Happens to me all the time, right [insert four big shot type names here, local big shots, I mean] That’s how a band’s complacency plays into my hands. And why my entire musical focus is to get on stage as quickly and often as possible.
           Another prime example is this Jeff Beck Imelda May thing “Walkin’ In the Sand”. I still for the life of me cannot figure out why anyone would think that is such a great song, but I will steal the show, the march, and the crowd on them with that tune. It is simple and tired old Blues and I know exactly how to dish out that goop out so they’ll eat it up. But to a real bass player, tunes like that border on blaw-zay.

EVENING
           I’m even grumpier. Don’t ask. I told you I had an upset tummy. I suspect food poisoning, an ailment more common than many people realize. After much thinking I gave a call to young Jag, the guitar player. I figure if I’m going to pay somebody, why not somebody who appreciates the paycheck? Even Billie-Bill was hesitant, reluctant, no that gung-ho. On the other hand, Jag was the most successful of any guitarist as we played within three weeks of first practice and managed five or so gigs. If you recall, he was unable to contribute anything to the band and I even had to pick him on the motorcycle for practice. Well, he is now out of high school and in college.
           Not only do I have better instruments and microphones now, I’ve expanded my song list to nearly 30 tunes. And they are a much more varied mixture, even some rock and blues. It makes life more interesting for guitarists.
           There is another aspect of band work I don’t believe I’ve pointed out before, but it involves the same difficulty of the average guitar player thinking he’s some kind of hero. You learn their song list, but the instant you get on stage, well, they now have a backup band and they start showing off with different tunes than what you practiced. Say, Glen, have you ever noticed that? Well, that has never happened with Jag.
           Jag is totally the computer app generation and I need some pointers. Remember, I’ve been out of the computer field for several years and my skills are fading to oblivion, or I mean such as can happen. He is also an excellent source of news on what music is making the rounds. I can play all that music, but have no idea which tunes. They sound cookie-cutter to me.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++