Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, June 14, 2014

June 13, 2014

Yesteryear
One year ago today: June 13, 2013, reads like a rant.
Five years ago today: June 13, 2009, Hinduism defined. Really.
Ten years ago today: June 13, 2004, out to launch.

           And how about the headlines today. It says Iraq is imploding into an ungovernable mass with roving bands of heavily armed religious fanatics. Oh, wait. Wrong newspaper. This one is dated 1546. Americans still haven’t figured out this concept of letting the richest 1% run things doesn’t work so well. What’s in today’s paper? Not another sports celebrity rape case. There should be a law preventing women to go into hotel rooms with steroid apes and then yelling rape. And pretending under oath they thought the after game invite was for an impromptu round of tiddlywinks.
           Here’s something most of us don’t see every day. No, not the kill switch on my drill press, but a Tiffany lamp on the work bench. It’s a long story, how much that lamp cost me. My evening off last night didn’t work out as planned, I found my store-bought soldering stand was too weak to hold position and the sagging cage melted a hole. So I redid the whole shebang with solid wood, metal cleats, and sheet metal screws. And failed in my vast inventory to find a simple switch like the one shown here. If you bump it accidentally, it can only turn itself off.

           But yes, I still had time to study. Agt. M was overwhelmed by the seeming complexity of finding position. At first it does seem like a massive process, but we went over the globe until the theory made some sense. The whole planet is moving as much as 900 miles toward the east, so a single minute can mean 4 miles error. We finally understand the concept of celestial globe and how the readings there are different.
           It’s a small breakthrough in navigation studies, (finally),I can understand the charts, please distinguish that from what the books are teaching, which is to merely read the charts. Is there a big difference between reading and understanding? Yep, we’ve all met people who can read the Bible.
           Meanwhile, happiness if finding a matching brass shaft-lock ring in that old pill bottle of odd screws you did NOT throw out two years ago. Here’s a fact some will misinterpret as sexist. I read more about the Bomber Command (WWII British Air Force) requirements for the navigators.
           It turns out they discovered the best navigators were a type of personality, and that type often made the very best pilots. Desperate to free these men flying instead of navigating, they scoured the Empire but could not find any women that could do the job right. I naturally wanted information on what test they used to determine this but at that point, all information sources dry up solid. Let me guess, gals, the tests were all gender-biased and the men were looking in the wrong places. That explains everything.
           Trivia. The British pilot shortage lasted only until August 22, 1941. That's the day Hitler ordered the invasion of Russia (Russia was arming to the teeth to invade all of Europe anyway). On that day, most of the RAF found itself unemployed.

           What did I say about those assholes at MicroSoft demanding I get an “ID number” for my email? They said it was only to identify in case I lost my password. Really? I certainly did not report any difficulties to MicroSoft. I have never lost an e-mail password in recorded history. Well, now when I log out of Outlook (another app I didn’t want) I get redirected to MSN.com. What a total pack of ignorant ape-shit bastards. I’m switching e-mail accounts after 18 years. Mark my words, MicroSoft is up to something you are not going to like, whatever it is.
           Trying to outrun the growling afternoon storms, I got caught five miles from home in a three-hour mess. Fortunately this was near a Chinese (Cantonese) restaurant so I could stop in and talk with the staff about old times. Still I was stranded for three and a half hours, long enough to meet a Spanish guitar player from Palatka. I finally met someone from Palatka, the city where I bought a thousand-dollar savings bond for ten years. And after all the taxes and conversions were done, I lost $70. He played a cheap $30 Mexican guitar, which he carried strung around his neck as a prop.
           My fortune cookie said I would attract cultured and artistic people to my home. Nobody showed up. I stopped at Home Depot for three bolt washers totally 66¢ but it had to be done. Next I dropped off advertising at the Alehouse, Deppity, Boston Johnny’s, and sang four Karaoke tunes at Jimbos.
           Concerning navigation, I ran across a boat captain who reports that when he went to pass his test for plotting, they told him he was not allowed to use any tables. What I have learned so far is almost totally dependent on tables--am I on the wrong track? This shifts my goal. I’d rather use tables I understand than to pass tests on memorized material. I looked at some of the calculations needed without using tables and saw such mathematical gems as “haversines”. How do I just know most people just memorized the formula to pass a test like that?
           That's how.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++